Access and Management
Contact university archivist, (310) 954-4377
Mount Saint Mary's University was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in 1925 as the first Catholic women's college west of the Mississippi. It comprises two historic sites, the Chalon Campus high above Brentwood (1930), and the Doheny Campus, which occupies the former estate of Edward and Estelle Doheny, including the Doheny Mansion at 8 Chester Place (1899). The Mount's renowned nursing program, established in 1948, offered California's first four-year baccalaureate degree in nursing. Notable collections document the Doheny family and the history of Chester Place; outreach to Cuban refugees in the 1960s and other efforts promoting equity and diversity; and the charism of the Carondelet nuns in education and social justice.