1964-1980

Water Resource Center Archives, University of California

The Water Resources Center Archives (WRCA) is a unique library that collects archival materials on all aspects of water resources in California and the West. WRCA manages over 125 collections with several significant collections that pertain to water development in southern California. These collections include Franks Adams, Harry F. Blaney, John D. Galloway, Walter L. Huber, Oman J. Lillevang, Charles Lee, J.B. Lippincott, Thomas H. Means, Andrae B. Norskog, and James D. Schuyler.

San Fernando Valley Historical Society

To share and make known the organization's significant archive and collections of San Fernando Valley history. SFVHS serves as caretaker of the Andres Pico Adobe historic site in Mission Hills as well as the Pioneer Cemetery in Sylmar.

Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area

The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area archives documents this park unit of the National Park Service.  The digital archives contain materials from individuals and organizations connected to the recreation area such as environmentalist Margot Feuer, Chumash Chief Charlie Cooke, scientist Margaret Stassforth, the Mountain Conservancy Foundation, and the Friends of Satwiwa. The collection also includes historical materials regarding federal park sites within the recreation area such as Paramount Ranch, Rancho Sierra Vista, Circle X Ranch, Solstice Canyon, Franklin Canyon and Peter Strauss Ranch.

Pasadena Museum of History

The Research Library and Archives has been collecting material relating to the history of Pasadena since 1924. The archives contains approximately 1 million historic images (including photos, negatives, postcards, stereographs) of Pasadena and surrounding areas. There are 45 cubic feet of maps and plans of the area, as well as a set of Sanborm fire insurance maps for Pasadena. There is a large collection of ephemera, scrapbooks, and photo albums relating to the history of the city. There are about 250 special collections, including the Sylvanus Marston set of architectural drawings; the Tournament of Roses Collection; the Giddings-Hollingsworth Family Collection; the Fenyes-Curtin-Paloheimo Papers; the Black History Collection; the Hugh Anderson/Model Grocery Company Collection. There are more than 1,000 books and 50 linear feet of periodicals on the history of the city and general Southern California area, including a nearly complete run of Pasadena city directories from 1895-1976.

California State University Channel Islands

Camarillo State Hospital Collection. In 1932, 1500 acres located within the City of Camarillo, County of Ventura were acquired for a state hospital. The hospital was expected to house 7000 patients and over 700 staff. At completion, it was the largest mental hospital in the world. CAM officially closed in June of 1993, but, it was reacquired by the CSU in 1996 as the first university in the county. The CSH collection expounds upon this history in an original and artificial gathering of both hospital and archive-generated documents.

Los Angeles Unified School District, Art and Artifact Collection/Archives

The Los Angeles Unified School District’s (LAUSD) art and artifact collection has been amassed since the opening of the first district school in 1855. The collection began to be organized in 2001 when LAUSD received a grant to hire a part time collections curator and manager. The mission of the archives is to (1) engage and educate the Los Angeles Community, including students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni, as well as independent historians, curators, librarians, archivists, and interested parties, about the history of the LAUSD and its role within the greater community (2) preserve and protect the cultural heritage of the LAUSD (3) encourage the school community to become involved in the dynamic process of contributing to the Collection in ways that reflect current environments and cultures. Objects and artworks are located at both schools and administrative sites. Major collections include: Photographs and negatives depicting people, places and events at district schools taken by the Audio Visual Section, Public Information Office and other district branches from the 1930s through 1980s Paintings, drawings and murals donated by graduating classes Rare book collections of California History, Carnegie Art History Collection and Dawson Collection (formerly located at George Washington High School) and the former LAUSD Kindergarten Memorial and Professional Libraries Contents of Venice High School’s museum of antiquities called the Latin Museum Works Progress Administration paintings, murals and sculpture Misc. curriculum materials from the 1890s to 1970s Various District administrative records such as files on the 1965 Elementary and Secondary Education Act Historic schoolhouse furniture, teaching devices and office equipment

Chapman University, Leatherby Libraries

The Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections & Archives Library is the principle repository for the preservation and access of the Leatherby Libraries’ rare and unique collections. Special Collections holds rare books, manuscripts, maps and collections of enduring value while the Archives preserves the history of the university and the Chapman family. The department includes the Dan and Sarah Caton Hogan Seminar Room with appropriate presentation technology, the Aquin Mitsuo Yamagishi Reading Room, and the Huell Howser Reading Room. The Library was named by the late Trustee C. Stanley Chapman, Jr., and his wife, Joan Mt. Pleasant Chapman in honor of Joan’s uncle, Frank Mt. Pleasant, a Tuscarora Indian. We also hold material on the early years of Chapman University when it was located in Los Angeles: 1920-1923 CALIFORNIA SCHOOL OF CHRISTIANITY Located at the Wilshire Christian Church in Los Angeles from 1920-1921. Moved to 766 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, in 1921 1923-1934 CALIFORNIA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE Vermont Ave. campus 1934-1954 CHAPMAN COLLEGE Vermont Ave. campus from 1934-1942 Located on Whittier College Campus from 1942-1945 Vermont Ave. campus from 1945-1954

Mount Saint Mary's University

Mount Saint Mary's University was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in 1925 as the first Catholic women's college west of the Mississippi. It comprises two historic sites, the Chalon Campus high above Brentwood (1930), and the Doheny Campus, which occupies the former estate of Edward and Estelle Doheny, including the Doheny Mansion at 8 Chester Place (1899). The Mount's renowned nursing program, established in 1948, offered California's first four-year baccalaureate degree in nursing.  Notable collections document the Doheny family and the history of  Chester Place; outreach to Cuban refugees in the 1960s and other efforts promoting equity and diversity; and the charism of the Carondelet nuns in education and social justice.

Californiana, LA County Library

This reference collection is about the history and culture of California. Contains over 20,000 books, magazines, newspaper, and pamphlets. The collection is a non-circulating resource collection of materials about Southern California in particular with a heavy emphasis on Los Angeles County, including individual cities and unincorporated areas. Fiction by major California writers is included as well as historical fiction about California.

Virginia Robinson Gardens

Collection Description: Virginia Robinson Gardens, built in 1911, was the first estate in Beverly Hills. Today, it is listed on the national registry of historic sites. Social doyenne, art collector and philanthropist Mrs. Virginia Robinson resided in the house for thirty years and, before her death in 1977, she gave it to Los Angeles County for the public to enjoy. This historic estate, which includes her home, complete with her extensive collection of American and European fine and decorative arts and surrounding garden, continues to attract visitors from around the world. There are tours for adults and a special children's tour for third graders. In addition, the Gardens hosts lectures and educational series that include talks by scholars, gardening classes, and visits to other significant cultural and botanical sites in the Los Angeles area. The collection consists of art objects personally acquired by Mrs. Robinson and her husband Mr. Harry Robinson. The estate houses a significant library, objects from France, India and Italy (among other countries) and a collection of china and glassware. The 6 acres of garden surrounding the house is bursting with diverse plants and flowers from around the world and remains one of the main attractions of this unique historic site. The Robinson Gardens enriches not only the city of Beverly Hills but the entire county of Los Angeles. Its popularity continues to grow as the staff works towards making the site better known and more accessible to the public.