1964-1980

Design and Historic Preservation Section, City of Pasadena Planning & Community Development Dept.

Within the City of Pasadena, the Design and Historic Preservation Section reviews plans for construction and building alterations affecting historic properties, conducts historic building surveys, carries out environmental reviews in compliance with state and federal laws regarding the preservation of historic resources, designates properties as landmarks and landmark districts, and directs nominations to the National Register of Historic Places. It also provides staff support for the city’s Design Commission and Cultural Heritage Commission. The Design and Historic Preservation Section’s holdings include building permits, surveys, photographs, slides, articles, books, and other information about Pasadena’s homes, buildings, and architecture. In addition, the section maintains files that furnish historic information about local properties (arranged by address) and about architects and builders who have worked in Pasadena. It also keeps subject files that contain newspaper clippings and copies of other historical documents pertaining to Pasadena which are organized by themes such as parks, streets, and neighborhoods.

Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Lillian Fellows Memorial Archive

Childrens Hospital Society of Los Angeles was established in 1901 by a small group of women who recognized the need for a hospital that could serve ill, crippled, and under-privileged children. The original hospital, opened in 1902, was a modest two-story, canary-yellow, clapboard house. It had nine beds, was served by one volunteer doctor and treated fourteen patients its first year. By 1905, the hospital had expanded to accommodate twenty patients, the kitchen pantry converted in to a surgery suite, and 229 children had received care. The hospital soon after received two generous donations- one of land, the other of real-property, which made possible a relocation and expansion of the hospital, and in 1913, Childrens Hospital opened a 100-bed facility in a remote, unincorporated part of the city at Sunset & Vermont Avenues. Subsequent years of tireless and ingenious fund raising efforts by all-female board of directors, managers, and auxiliaries produced steady income for the non-profit hospital. Today, CHLA is a national leader in pediatric care and research and serves over 300,000 patients annually at its four-acre facility. The Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Lillian Fellows Memorial Archive is named for the daughter of Emma Phillips, the donor who bequeathed the land upon which the current hospital is situated. Mrs. Phillips’ gift stipulated that her deceased daughter’s portrait hang for fifty years in the new hospital, and that portrait now serves as the cornerstone of the archive collection. Development of the archive began in 2000 with the collection and assessment of historical materials for research on the book, “Childrens Hospital and the Leaders of Los Angeles: The First 100 Years,” by Margaret Leslie Davis, published in conjunction with the CHLA Centennial Celebration. The archive is home to a variety of materials, including photographs, medical records, publications, scrapbooks, diaries, documents, artwork, and artifacts. Photographic images include hospital founders, patients, doctors, administrators, campus development, and regional images of general historic interest. The archive contains complete collections dating from 1901 through 1940 of annual reports, admissions logs, medical procedures summaries, and daily census reports, as well as monthly newsletters published since 1940. The records of Mrs. Gabriel Duque, long term Chair of the Associates & Affiliates and CHLA Board member, are preserved in the archive, as are generous donations of historic materials from various auxiliary groups including fund-raising records, annual Doll Fair, Fashion Show, and Debutante Ball scrapbooks, administration files, meeting minutes, 1940s Debutante Registers, publicity brochures, and a variety of World War II memorabilia. Also housed in the archive are oral histories of hospital administrators, doctors, nurses, and volunteers gathered under the auspices of the Centennial Celebration project.

Center for Visual Music

Collections include material on Oskar Fischinger and related Visual Music Artists, including Jules Engel, John and James Whitney, Pat O'Neill, Hy Hirsh, Single Wing Turquoise Bird light show, Ed Emshwiller, and many contemporary artists. William Moritz collection contains material on history of avant-garde and abstract film in Los Angeles.

California State University, Dominguez Hills. Archives and Special Collections

The Archives and Special Collections Department at CSUDH serves several functions as the archives for the California StateUniversity System, CSUDH, and the Rancho San Pedro/Dominguez Family. In addition the Archives has various South Bay Los Angeles and Compton Collections, an Asian Pacific Studies Collection, the congressional papers of Glenn Anderson (the 105 Freeway is named for him) and rare book collections. The collection consists of nearly 2000 feet of archivalmaterials dating from the 1850s through the 1990s as well as 25,000 photographs. Although the California State University (CSU) system was founded in 1960, the Archives for the CSU System did not open until 1979. The work of collecting and transferring records began in 1981, with the designation of the Dominguez Hills campus as the CSU repository. Since each of the CSU campuses (including Dominguez Hills) has its own archives, the CSU Board of Trustees decided the CSU Archives would contain materials having only system-wide importance. Consequently, much of the material documents the activities of the Board and the Chancellor's Office, both located in Long Beach. The Dominguez Hills Archives serves as the institutional memory of the University and documents the functions and activities of its community.The Asian-Pacific Studies Collection documents Japanese- American evacuatio and internment during World War II, the Japanese Garden Collection and the Mochizuki Collection, which contains documents pertaining to the internmentof Japanese-Peruvians during World War II in the U.S. The local South Bay History Collection provides documentation regarding the early history Compton and the Rancho San Pedro and its original family owners-the Dominguez Family. These records include some early family records as well as extensive files on early 20th century LA businesses related to the Carson,Watson, Del Amo, Dominguez and other families. The Book Collection offers a wide of materials relating to the South Bay history, 19th-20th century popular literature, winners of the Newbery Honor Award for children's books and the Glen Schwendemann Bindery Collection (1550-1990s) which includes books relating to voyages of discovery as well as many re-bound books in vellum, leather and cloth. The Glenn M. Anderson Collection consists of the papers of the former California Congressman and deals extensively with South Bay Los Angeles transportation issues including highways and the Port of Los Angeles. Many finding aids are available on the Online Archive of California or the CSUDH web page.

Cal Poly Pomona, Special Collections and Archives

Subject strengths: local history, wine, cookbooks, poetry, botany, mycology, philosophy, art and architecture. Collections: University Archives, Cal Poly Rose Float Collection, Wine Industry Collection, The Thomas Pinney Collection of wine books and wine related research files, the United Farm Workers Collection, Virginia Hamilton Adair Collection, First Edition Collection, John Gill Modern Poetry Collection, Abraham Kaplan Collection, League of Women Voters (East San Gabriel Valley) Collection, Academic Senate Archive, Low magazine archive (student underground newspaper), Cal Poly Women's Club, Student Wives Club, Voorhis School for Boys, Voorhis Family, Robert Lawrence Balzer Collection, World Menu Collection, Kennedy Collection, Humphrey Mycology Collection. Campus History: Cal Poly Pomona was originally founded in San Dimas in 1938, as an all male agricultural/horticultural southern branch campus of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. In 1949 the college acquired the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Ranch in Pomona where it moved the campus in 1956. In 1961 it went coed and in 1966 separated from San Luis Obispo. In 1972, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona was awarded full university status. The University Archives, which document this history includes: photographs, books, records, memorabilia, architectural drawings, sound and video recordings, newspaper clippings and scrapbooks. The University Archives also include materials from the Voorhis School for Boys--the San Dimas institution for orphaned and underprivileged boys that originally inhabited the site of what later became the San Dimas/Voorhis campus of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Charles Voorhis built the school and his son H. Jerry Voorhis was headmaster. The school operated from 1928 to 1938, when Jerry Voorhis was elected to Congress. In 1938 Charles Voorhis donated the school facility to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo to be its Southern California branch. This permitted students to gain experience with cultivation of important "sub-tropical" crops such as oranges. Materials include photographs, film, video, DVDs, books, files, memorabilia, and architectural drawings. The Wine Industry Collection documents all aspects of the wine industry in Southern California, beginning with the Missions. This collection includes books, journals, newspapers, photographs, oral histories, posters, files, winery memorabilia, video recordings, news clippings, wine labels, wine bottles, medals, and wine club newsletters.

Lanterman House

Local history of the La Canada Valley and Flintridge and of the City of La Canada Flintridge (incorporated 1976). History of the Lanterman family, pioneer settlers of the La Canada Valley in the 1870s, who lived in La Canada until the family died out in 1987. History of Frank Lanterman's early career as a theater organist (including thousands of pieces of popular sheet music). History of Frank Lanterman's 28-year service (1950-1978) as a State Assemblyman and his championship of rights for the developmentally disabled. History of the restoration of the Lanterman House in the 1990s.

African American Resource Center, LA County Library

The Black Resource Center (BRC) was founded in 1978 as a special service of the County of Los Angeles Public Library to meet the informational, cultural, and educational needs of African Americans in Los Angeles County, by supporting research and study on social, historical and cultural aspects unique to the African Americans experience. The Center serves as an information and referral agency to other libraries, government agencies and the general public. It is an important link in the survival and preservation of the heritage of African Americans. The collection consists of books, periodicals, pamphlets, microform, videos/DVDs, audio-recordings, posters, and 16mm films. Preservation is a major concern of the Center. The collection includes microfilm of Black newspapers from 1899, and issues of the Los Angeles Sentinel from its inception in 1934 to the present. A core collection of books by and about black music and musicians was initiated in 1982, and is continuously maintained as new books become available. The Center provides reference assistance, subject bibliographies, and referral information regarding community resources and public agencies. The Center also presents programs with local authors and entertainers. The Center participates in local community activities such as job fairs, career days, and health fairs. The materials collection and other activities of the Resource Center are supported by funds from the County of Los Angeles Public Library and donations from private donors.

All the Saints of the City of the Angels

Collection Description: An historical and poetic road trip through the cultural heritage of Los Angeles, via its hundred streets named for saints. Contending that the history of a place resides in its names, "All the Saints" seeks the points of convergence between the stories of the saints and the histories of the streets which bear their names. The results are rendered in painting and story. Thus far, over 100 paintings and dozens of essays have been collected into a major coffee table book (published by Heyday Books, 2008) and an exhibition at the Autry Museum (through September 2008); as well as a website, public installations, and adssorted merchandise.

Marymount High School - Los Angeles

Marymount High School is a Catholic, independent, college preparatory school for girls, and was founded in 1923 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. While the school has played a singular role in local history, it has maintained an inter-related history with many other Marymount institutions, both in Southern California and around the world. Created in 2003 to coincide with the school's 80th Anniversary, the Archive collects, preserves, and exhibits historic items and materials related to the institution and an extended family of administrators, faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumnae. Housed within the Marian Library on a campus designated as Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 254, the Archive serves as the collective memory of the institution and seeks to enable those interested in seeing and interpreting Marymount history through its modest collections of multi-media.

The Theodore Payne Foundation for Wild Flowers and Native Plants, Inc.

The collection is currently being evaluated to determine content and needs for curation and as such is not yet available to the public. Included are: Personal papers of Theodore Payne dating from 1893 to 1963; Payne's business records dating from 1903 including sales ledgers, catalogues of plants and seeds for sale at his nursery, planting plans, photographs and plant lists; Professional communications with notable clients and seed businesses in US and Europe; Payne's writing focusing on Southern California native plants, their location and care; an extensive study of eucalyptus; commentary about his participation in the establishment of major public and private gardens and published papers on urban development in Southern California. Additional papers relate to the activities of the Theodore Payne Foundation (TPF) since its founding in 1960. A slide collection of wildflower displays in local mountains taken during 1970's and 1980's by Dede Gilman; Botanical art of local native wildflowers by Jane Pinheiro from Antelope Valley; and assorted private papers and collections given to TPF, yet to be evaluated. Memoir written about Life on the Modjeska Ranch in Orange Co. Documents his work collecting seeds and plants in San Diego,Imperial, Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange and LA Cos. Business records focus on downtown Los Angeles