1950-1963

Wende Museum

The Wende Museum collects artworks, artifacts, and personal histories that record daily life, creative expression, and political developments in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union during the Cold War period. The collection comprises a variety of media including design objects, works on paper, ceramics, paintings, sculptures, posters, furniture, textiles, photographs, films, videos, sound recordings, books, periodicals, and archives. Special projects and collections relate these artifacts to Los Angeles history and its residents, including Cold War Culver City, documenting local historical sites from the Cold War, and From Red State to Golden State: Soviet Jewish Immigration to the City of Angels, an intergenerational oral history project and documentary film. We are also the repository for the oral histories collected by the Albanian Human Rights Project, a Los-Angeles-based organization dedicated to collecting, filming, and preserving the testimonies of Albanians who were politically imprisoned or interned from 1944-1991 during Albania’s communist regime.

Santa Monica Land & Water Company Archives

Business records of the Santa Monica Land & Water Company incorporated in 1897 by Sen. John P. Jones and Arcadia de Bandini de Baker. SML&WCo sub-divided and developed about 50,000 acres in West Los Angeles including Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, and Bel Air. The Archives includes photos, ephemera, legal records, and correspondence from the early 1900s through the 1970s. Three books have been produced from the archives--Brentwood-Los Angeles--Images of America; Pacific Palisades--Images of America; and Westside Chronicles. All are available on Amazon.com. The archive is not open to the public.

Los Angeles County - Records Management and Archives Program

Mission Serving Los Angeles County by providing essential records management and election services in a fair, accessible and transparent manner. The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk In January 1968, the Departments of Registrar of Voters and County Recorder were merged by the Board of Supervisors and further merged with the County Clerk in January 1991. During this time, the three operations and 700 employees were situated in separate facilities. In July 1993, the department was able to fulfill its long-term goal of merging all functions to one site, providing a permanent and secure headquarter for all operations, as well as its extensive volume of 160 million documents. Registrar's Office The Los Angeles County Registrar's Office is responsible for the registration of voters, maintenance of voter files, conduct of federal, state, local and special elections and the verification of initiative, referendum and recall petitions. Each year, the office participates in approximately 200 elections for schools, cities and special districts. There are approximately 4.8 million registered voters, as well as 5,000 voting precincts established for countywide elections. The Registrar's Office is in constant need of citizens willing to work at the precinct polling places on Election Day, and/or willing to provide homes or facilities as polling places. Payment is provided for pollworkers and rental of facilities. If you can help, call (562) 466-1373. Recorder's Office The Recorder's Office is responsible for recording legal documents that determine ownership of property, as well as maintaining files of birth, death, marriage and real estate records for Los Angeles County. All functions of the office are conducted under provisions of the State Constitution, State and County Codes. The recording operation in Los Angeles County is large and complex. It serves the public and other County departments, such as the Assessor, Health Services, Public Social Services and Regional Planning. Documents on file are vital to the real estate, legal and banking communities and the general economy of the County. County Clerk's Office On January 15, 1991, the Board of Supervisors approved the transfer of the County Clerk title and functions — which did not relate to judicial actions, procedures and records — to the Registrar-Recorder. Major functions transferred include: marriage license issuance, the performance of civil marriage ceremonies, fictitious business name filings and indexing, qualification and registration of notaries, as well as miscellaneous statutory issuance of oaths and filings. The office issues approximately 75,000 marriage licenses and processes 125,000 fictitious business name filings annually.

CalArts Institute Archive

The CalArts Institute Archive's collections contain documents, photographs, publications, clippings, programs, sound files, video recordings, posters, and miscellaneous items documenting the history of CalArts. There are also a small number of documents, primarily publications, from Chouinard Art School and the Los Angeles Music Conservatory, two institutions which merged in the late 1960’s to form CalArts.

Orange County Historical Society

The Orange County Historical Society (OCHS) is a non-profit group which collects, preserves and shares the history of Orange County, California for the benefit of its members and the general public.

Whittier College

Whittier College's Special Collections and Archives include six main collections. Our Quaker collection is one of the largest of its kind in the United States. This collection includes photographs, realia, rare books, primary, and secondary sources relating to Quaker's of the past and today. The subject of our second collection is John Greenleaf Whittier, respected 19th century poet.This collection includes nearly all books and poetical works written by Whittier (published and unpublished), photographs, broadsides, pamphlets, ephemera, and correspondence. Also included are documents and historical newspapers edited by Whittier, relating to the Abolition Movement, including: the National Era (1847-58), National Anti-Slavery Standard (1854-69), and American Manufacturer (1828-30).Three additional collections come from alumni Richard Nixon, Jessamyn West, and Lola B. Hoffman. The Nixon collection focuses on his pre-presidential life at Whittier College, and earlier. The collection includes photographs, college-related documents, oral histories, campaign ephemera, and various gifts given to Nixon during his years as a major public figure. The Jessamyn West collection includes works by the author, her personal papers, photographs, and and personal library.The Lola Hoffman Collection includes works on Mexican history, homeopathic medicine, the occult, classic literature, and Western history. Some of these works date back as far as the 15th century. The Special Collections also houses the College Archives. These document the college from its founding in 1887 to the current day. Included in this collection are yearbooks, administrative papers, photographs, ephemera, theses, professor publications, and college newspapers.

American Jewish University, Ostrow Library & University Archives

The American Jewish University Archives are various collections of documents, pamphlets, letters, audio, films, publications, photographs, scrapbooks, and ephemera that document the history of the University of Judaism and the Brandeis-Bardin Institute which merged to become American Jewish University in 2007, depicting people, places and events at both campuses.

Los Angeles United Methodist Museum of Social Justice

The Museum of Social Justice is located in La Plaza Methodist Church, on the site of the oldest section of Los Angeles. The Museum’s historical collection consists of documents, photographs, artifacts, and other materials created by La Plaza Methodist Church at the beginning of the twentieth century. The collection features over 2000 photographs that capture the work of the founders of the church, its community center, and the predominantly poor Mexican immigrant population the church was founded to serve. The documents provide a look into the poor living conditions that existed near the Plaza and how La Plaza Church's social justice practices improved the lives of many of the immigrants living on and near the Plaza.

Yosemite National Park Archive

Several Los Angeles engineering and architectural firms were involved in the design of buildings, bridges, and other iconic features of Yosemite National Park. From 1923-1927, the National Park Service Landscape Division was located in the offices of the Underwood Building on Spring Street in LA. Architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood and Landscape Engineer Daniel P. Hull collaborated on several national park projects including the construction of Yosemite's Ahwahnee Lodge. Los Angeles resident and architect Charles T. Gutleben developed designs for cables on Half Dome, and his company also was involved in other Yosemite projects including the construction of the Rangers Club, the Yosemite Museum, Le Conte Memorial Lodge, and many of the bridges in Yosemite Valley. The Yosemite Archives contains correspondence, plans, and drawings referring to many of these projects.