1921-1949

Cal-Pac United Methodist Commission on Archives and History

The Archives collection of the California-Pacific Annual Conference is comprised of annual conference journals, books, records of active and discontinued local churches, administrative documents, directories, newspapers, photographic and audio-visual materials, and ephemera documenting the history of the California-Pacific Annual conference and all it antecedents. Subject areas covered by the collection include, but are not limited to conference government and infrastructure, church histories, pastors, and various conference agencies. The Archives are housed in the Claremont School of Theology Library's Special Collection area. There are also additional electronic genealogical and historical material on the California- Pacific Conference Archives and History web page

FIDM Museum at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising

Mission Statement: The FIDM Museum & Galleries provides students, researchers, designers, and the public with resources to examine the role of historic fashion, accessories, textiles, jewelry, fragrance, and related ephemera in their relationship to society, history, and technology. The collections are sustained by standard museum practices for continued acquisition, preservation, and display. Educational, outreach, and volunteer programs support the scholarly interpretation of the collections. History: The FIDM Museum & Library, Inc. was founded in 1978 to serve FIDM and the community. Since January 1999, the Museum's operations have been separate from the Library in order to offer more specialized care and attention to the specific needs of the historic fashion collection, and museum-trained personnel have been added to the staff. Collections: The FIDM Museum houses over 15,000 garments, accessories, and textiles from the 18th century through the present day, including film and theatre costume. It is one of the largest such collections in the United States. The Museum Collections are split into two major parts: the Permanent Collection, used for exhibition and research; and the Study Collection, used by students for hands-on education and inspiration. The Study Collection is divided among the four FIDM campuses: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Orange County. Collections are maintained using standard museum practices advocated by the American Association of Museums and are constantly researched, exhibited, and published, both nationally and internationally. The FIDM Museum houses the early Hollywood Costume Collection on loan from the Department of Recreation and Parks, City of Los Angeles, as well as the Rudi Gernreich Archive and Gianni Versace Menswear Archive. FIDM Museum Special Collections includes periodicals, books, fashion ephemera, and the Michel Arnaud Fashion Photography Archive.

LA City --Bureau of Sanitation

Our collection encompasses a history of and historical records related to municipal collection programs for refuse, recyclables, dead animals, and yard trimmings throughout the City of Los Angeles from its inception until the present day. The records include original documents from meetings of the City Council, Board of Public Works, Board of Health, Bureau of Engineering, Bureau of Sanitation, and City archives. In addition, there are numerous articles from various newspapers throughout Southern California discussing the issue as well as various special reports on the subject from a variety of agencies external to the City of Los Angeles. Most notably, the collection contains a sizable number of original photos of the collection program throughout its various stages of development .

Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Museum Archives

The Museum Archives documents the history of the Los Angeles County Museum from its founding in 1910 to the present. The collection includes photographs, departmental papers, research papers, ephemera, publication, architectural plans, newspaper clippings and original artwork.

Hugh M. Hefner Moving Image Archive

USC began its film program in 1929 and we house all the produced student films as well as Educational and Hollywood films dating back to the 1910's. Individual collections include unique production documents and ephemera, including photographs, set design art, legal documents. Many parts of Los Angeles have been represented such as Kent MacKenzies Bunker Hill 1956.

Thomas E. Leavey Archives

The collection documents the life and times of Thomas E. Leavey who was born in 1897 near Ferndale in Humboldt County, California. He served briefly in the Army during World War I, attended Santa Clara University, graduated from Georgetown University, and arrived in Los Angeles in 1925. He was a co-founder of Farmers Insurance Group, a dedicated rancher, and a significant philanthropist prior to his passing in 1980. His interaction with business, religious, educational, charitable, and other communities within Los Angeles are superbly documented through photos, films, manuscripts, and various materials that have been gathered from family and corporate sources.

Chinese Historical Society of Southern California

The Chinese Historical Society of Southern California was founded in1975 to discover and recognize Chinese American pioneers and the history of Chinese Americans in Southern California. It also works to increase aware-ness of Chinese American heritage through public programs, education, and research. The society's holdings focus on Southern California Chinese American history. Its collections include three hundred transcriptions of oral history interviews with Southern Californian Chinese Americans, the Robert Nash Collection on Chinese junks and fisheries, artifacts from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority old Chinatown/Union Station excavation and the Santa Barbara Chinatown archaeological site, photographs of old Chinatown and China City, and three paintings of old Chinatown. Its archive contains extended summaries of the oral history interviews and a number of original documents. Some of the society's holdings are on display at the Chinatown Heritage and Visitors Center (411 Bernard Street).

Virginia Robinson Gardens

Collection Description: Virginia Robinson Gardens, built in 1911, was the first estate in Beverly Hills. Today, it is listed on the national registry of historic sites. Social doyenne, art collector and philanthropist Mrs. Virginia Robinson resided in the house for thirty years and, before her death in 1977, she gave it to Los Angeles County for the public to enjoy. This historic estate, which includes her home, complete with her extensive collection of American and European fine and decorative arts and surrounding garden, continues to attract visitors from around the world. There are tours for adults and a special children's tour for third graders. In addition, the Gardens hosts lectures and educational series that include talks by scholars, gardening classes, and visits to other significant cultural and botanical sites in the Los Angeles area. The collection consists of art objects personally acquired by Mrs. Robinson and her husband Mr. Harry Robinson. The estate houses a significant library, objects from France, India and Italy (among other countries) and a collection of china and glassware. The 6 acres of garden surrounding the house is bursting with diverse plants and flowers from around the world and remains one of the main attractions of this unique historic site. The Robinson Gardens enriches not only the city of Beverly Hills but the entire county of Los Angeles. Its popularity continues to grow as the staff works towards making the site better known and more accessible to the public.