1900-1920

California State University, Dominguez Hills. Archives and Special Collections

The Archives and Special Collections Department at CSUDH serves several functions as the archives for the California StateUniversity System, CSUDH, and the Rancho San Pedro/Dominguez Family. In addition the Archives has various South Bay Los Angeles and Compton Collections, an Asian Pacific Studies Collection, the congressional papers of Glenn Anderson (the 105 Freeway is named for him) and rare book collections. The collection consists of nearly 2000 feet of archivalmaterials dating from the 1850s through the 1990s as well as 25,000 photographs. Although the California State University (CSU) system was founded in 1960, the Archives for the CSU System did not open until 1979. The work of collecting and transferring records began in 1981, with the designation of the Dominguez Hills campus as the CSU repository. Since each of the CSU campuses (including Dominguez Hills) has its own archives, the CSU Board of Trustees decided the CSU Archives would contain materials having only system-wide importance. Consequently, much of the material documents the activities of the Board and the Chancellor's Office, both located in Long Beach. The Dominguez Hills Archives serves as the institutional memory of the University and documents the functions and activities of its community.The Asian-Pacific Studies Collection documents Japanese- American evacuatio and internment during World War II, the Japanese Garden Collection and the Mochizuki Collection, which contains documents pertaining to the internmentof Japanese-Peruvians during World War II in the U.S. The local South Bay History Collection provides documentation regarding the early history Compton and the Rancho San Pedro and its original family owners-the Dominguez Family. These records include some early family records as well as extensive files on early 20th century LA businesses related to the Carson,Watson, Del Amo, Dominguez and other families. The Book Collection offers a wide of materials relating to the South Bay history, 19th-20th century popular literature, winners of the Newbery Honor Award for children's books and the Glen Schwendemann Bindery Collection (1550-1990s) which includes books relating to voyages of discovery as well as many re-bound books in vellum, leather and cloth. The Glenn M. Anderson Collection consists of the papers of the former California Congressman and deals extensively with South Bay Los Angeles transportation issues including highways and the Port of Los Angeles. Many finding aids are available on the Online Archive of California or the CSUDH web page.

Cal Poly Pomona, Special Collections and Archives

Subject strengths: local history, wine, cookbooks, poetry, botany, mycology, philosophy, art and architecture. Collections: University Archives, Cal Poly Rose Float Collection, Wine Industry Collection, The Thomas Pinney Collection of wine books and wine related research files, the United Farm Workers Collection, Virginia Hamilton Adair Collection, First Edition Collection, John Gill Modern Poetry Collection, Abraham Kaplan Collection, League of Women Voters (East San Gabriel Valley) Collection, Academic Senate Archive, Low magazine archive (student underground newspaper), Cal Poly Women's Club, Student Wives Club, Voorhis School for Boys, Voorhis Family, Robert Lawrence Balzer Collection, World Menu Collection, Kennedy Collection, Humphrey Mycology Collection. Campus History: Cal Poly Pomona was originally founded in San Dimas in 1938, as an all male agricultural/horticultural southern branch campus of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. In 1949 the college acquired the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Ranch in Pomona where it moved the campus in 1956. In 1961 it went coed and in 1966 separated from San Luis Obispo. In 1972, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona was awarded full university status. The University Archives, which document this history includes: photographs, books, records, memorabilia, architectural drawings, sound and video recordings, newspaper clippings and scrapbooks. The University Archives also include materials from the Voorhis School for Boys--the San Dimas institution for orphaned and underprivileged boys that originally inhabited the site of what later became the San Dimas/Voorhis campus of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Charles Voorhis built the school and his son H. Jerry Voorhis was headmaster. The school operated from 1928 to 1938, when Jerry Voorhis was elected to Congress. In 1938 Charles Voorhis donated the school facility to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo to be its Southern California branch. This permitted students to gain experience with cultivation of important "sub-tropical" crops such as oranges. Materials include photographs, film, video, DVDs, books, files, memorabilia, and architectural drawings. The Wine Industry Collection documents all aspects of the wine industry in Southern California, beginning with the Missions. This collection includes books, journals, newspapers, photographs, oral histories, posters, files, winery memorabilia, video recordings, news clippings, wine labels, wine bottles, medals, and wine club newsletters.

Lanterman House

Local history of the La Canada Valley and Flintridge and of the City of La Canada Flintridge (incorporated 1976). History of the Lanterman family, pioneer settlers of the La Canada Valley in the 1870s, who lived in La Canada until the family died out in 1987. History of Frank Lanterman's early career as a theater organist (including thousands of pieces of popular sheet music). History of Frank Lanterman's 28-year service (1950-1978) as a State Assemblyman and his championship of rights for the developmentally disabled. History of the restoration of the Lanterman House in the 1990s.

African American Resource Center, LA County Library

The Black Resource Center (BRC) was founded in 1978 as a special service of the County of Los Angeles Public Library to meet the informational, cultural, and educational needs of African Americans in Los Angeles County, by supporting research and study on social, historical and cultural aspects unique to the African Americans experience. The Center serves as an information and referral agency to other libraries, government agencies and the general public. It is an important link in the survival and preservation of the heritage of African Americans. The collection consists of books, periodicals, pamphlets, microform, videos/DVDs, audio-recordings, posters, and 16mm films. Preservation is a major concern of the Center. The collection includes microfilm of Black newspapers from 1899, and issues of the Los Angeles Sentinel from its inception in 1934 to the present. A core collection of books by and about black music and musicians was initiated in 1982, and is continuously maintained as new books become available. The Center provides reference assistance, subject bibliographies, and referral information regarding community resources and public agencies. The Center also presents programs with local authors and entertainers. The Center participates in local community activities such as job fairs, career days, and health fairs. The materials collection and other activities of the Resource Center are supported by funds from the County of Los Angeles Public Library and donations from private donors.

All the Saints of the City of the Angels

Collection Description: An historical and poetic road trip through the cultural heritage of Los Angeles, via its hundred streets named for saints. Contending that the history of a place resides in its names, "All the Saints" seeks the points of convergence between the stories of the saints and the histories of the streets which bear their names. The results are rendered in painting and story. Thus far, over 100 paintings and dozens of essays have been collected into a major coffee table book (published by Heyday Books, 2008) and an exhibition at the Autry Museum (through September 2008); as well as a website, public installations, and adssorted merchandise.

The Theodore Payne Foundation for Wild Flowers and Native Plants, Inc.

The collection is currently being evaluated to determine content and needs for curation and as such is not yet available to the public. Included are: Personal papers of Theodore Payne dating from 1893 to 1963; Payne's business records dating from 1903 including sales ledgers, catalogues of plants and seeds for sale at his nursery, planting plans, photographs and plant lists; Professional communications with notable clients and seed businesses in US and Europe; Payne's writing focusing on Southern California native plants, their location and care; an extensive study of eucalyptus; commentary about his participation in the establishment of major public and private gardens and published papers on urban development in Southern California. Additional papers relate to the activities of the Theodore Payne Foundation (TPF) since its founding in 1960. A slide collection of wildflower displays in local mountains taken during 1970's and 1980's by Dede Gilman; Botanical art of local native wildflowers by Jane Pinheiro from Antelope Valley; and assorted private papers and collections given to TPF, yet to be evaluated. Memoir written about Life on the Modjeska Ranch in Orange Co. Documents his work collecting seeds and plants in San Diego,Imperial, Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange and LA Cos. Business records focus on downtown Los Angeles

Historical Society of the Crescenta Valley

Documents and photos relating to the history of the Crescenta Valley. The La Crescenta Valley Historical Society has a lot of materials on the New Years Flood of 1934, and the town of Montrose, plus some materials on the American portrait artist S. Seymour Thomas.

Los Angeles City Archives

In the Los Angeles City Archives are the official municipal government records of the City of Los Angeles, including city council files, city ordinances, and city council minutes. The archives also contain the records of cities that have consolidated with Los Angeles and are now considered communities.

The Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage

The Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage was opened in 2001 and is named after its lead donors, Ruth and Charles Gilb. The Museum is maintained and operated by the City of Arcadia and houses artifacts and artwork representative of local Arcadia history and culture. The Museum presents seven individual interpretive exhibit spaces with both permanent and temporary exhibits as well as three off-site exhibits at City Hall, City Council Chambers and the Community Center. The main, permanent, gallery presents a chronology of Arcadia's history beginning with the Gabrieliño/Tongva (Native Americans indigenous to Arcadia) and works its way through the early American period with the rancho of Santa Anita, the story of Elias J. “Lucky” Baldwin and the beginning of the City of Arcadia. Also on display are artifacts and exhibits of Santa Anita Park, the Arcadia World War I Balloon School, the Santa Anita Japanese Assembly Center and Anita M. Baldwin. Two other permanent spaces are “Movie Magic: Arcadia in the Movies” and “Famous Arcadians.” Our Research Library houses temporary local history exhibits and displays of our archival collections. Research in our collections is by appointment only. In the Arcadia Veterans Local History Room the Museum presents a remembrance of Arcadians who have served in the military. This space houses the Arcadia Veterans Registry, where Veterans from all theatres are invited to add their personal information and photograph to the registry. In addition, the Museum houses the City’s Blue Star Registry and honors Operation Hometown Heroes. Our main temporary space rotates exhibits that share the many aspects of Arcadia's art and history. Past exhibits have included: “Tongva: Our Voice, Our History, Our People,” “Dreams and Delusions: The Surreal World of Dean Fleming,” “Only What We Could Carry: The Santa Anita Japanese Assembly Center,” “Traditional Silk and Silver Fashions of China's Minorities,” “Get Your Kicks on Route 66” and “Airships over Arcadia, WWI.” Temporary exhibits also include topics on community themes and an annual juried photography contest and exhibit. The Museum hosts educational family and adult programming in our Museum Education Center. On third Thursdays the Museum presents Lunchtime Talks with different speakers and topics each month from January through June and September through November. On selected months we present our Hands on Saturdays for Families program, which celebrates a variety of cultural themes bringing families together while educating and immersing in world cultures. Scout Days are presented throughout the year for local troops to come and earn their badges. We also offer educational school tours of the exhibits with an additional hands-on component. Lectures on local history are offered from an assortment of speakers and topics. Favorite lectures in the past have been on the Arcadia WWI Balloon School; Mount Lowe and Pancho Barnes’ connection to Arcadia; the life of Anita Baldwin; and the railroad system in Arcadia. Adult workshops have included working with genealogy, and the ongoing Preservation Series: The Personal Museum, when the Curator shares tips and knowledge about how to care for treasures in “personal museums” in each family home. There is also opportunity to share and record individual stories utilizing the Museum's oral history program: Write Your Own Reminiscence and a senior Those Were the Days Sing-a-Long. The Curator sets time aside each month for visitors to Ask the Curator about how to care for their family artifacts. Cultural programming is also a focal point in our programming. We have held demonstrations on skills such as flintknapping and have welcomed local Native Americans who share their culture of storytelling, native plants and basketweaving. The Museum opens in the evening, after hours, during the spring and summer for two special programs. Arcadia at the Movies delights guests as we watch and discuss movies that have been filmed in Arcadia. Our Spring Soirée offers an evening to relax under the stars with a significant local artist’s work, a wine and cheese reception and acoustic music. There is something for everyone at the Gilb Museum!

Norton Simon Museum

The Norton Simon Museum’s collection spans two thousand years of Western and Asian art. It contains European and American art from before the Renaissance through the twentieth century, including works by Raphael, Rembrandt, Tiepolo, Goya, Edgar Degas, Vincent van Gogh, Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky, and Pablo Picasso, among many others. The extensive South Asian sculpture collection illustrates the splendid sculptural traditions of the Indian subcontinent, the Himalayas, and Southeast Asia. The Museum’s archives include the former Pasadena Art Museum's archives of correspondence, exhibition brochures and catalogues as well as the Blue Four Galka Scheyer Collection Archives which contains collector and art dealer Emmy (Galka) Scheyer’s correspondence with the artists she represented (primarily Kandinsky, Klee, Lyonel Feininger, and Alexej von Jawlensky) as well as with a few other artists, dealers, collectors, and friends during the years 1921 to 1945. Because the Blue Four Archive material is available on microfiche in the Archives of American Art, the Norton Simon Museum limits use of its archives to scholars requiring access to the originals.