1900-1920

FIDM Museum at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising

Mission Statement: The FIDM Museum & Galleries provides students, researchers, designers, and the public with resources to examine the role of historic fashion, accessories, textiles, jewelry, fragrance, and related ephemera in their relationship to society, history, and technology. The collections are sustained by standard museum practices for continued acquisition, preservation, and display. Educational, outreach, and volunteer programs support the scholarly interpretation of the collections. History: The FIDM Museum & Library, Inc. was founded in 1978 to serve FIDM and the community. Since January 1999, the Museum's operations have been separate from the Library in order to offer more specialized care and attention to the specific needs of the historic fashion collection, and museum-trained personnel have been added to the staff. Collections: The FIDM Museum houses over 15,000 garments, accessories, and textiles from the 18th century through the present day, including film and theatre costume. It is one of the largest such collections in the United States. The Museum Collections are split into two major parts: the Permanent Collection, used for exhibition and research; and the Study Collection, used by students for hands-on education and inspiration. The Study Collection is divided among the four FIDM campuses: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Orange County. Collections are maintained using standard museum practices advocated by the American Association of Museums and are constantly researched, exhibited, and published, both nationally and internationally. The FIDM Museum houses the early Hollywood Costume Collection on loan from the Department of Recreation and Parks, City of Los Angeles, as well as the Rudi Gernreich Archive and Gianni Versace Menswear Archive. FIDM Museum Special Collections includes periodicals, books, fashion ephemera, and the Michel Arnaud Fashion Photography Archive.

LA City --Bureau of Sanitation

Our collection encompasses a history of and historical records related to municipal collection programs for refuse, recyclables, dead animals, and yard trimmings throughout the City of Los Angeles from its inception until the present day. The records include original documents from meetings of the City Council, Board of Public Works, Board of Health, Bureau of Engineering, Bureau of Sanitation, and City archives. In addition, there are numerous articles from various newspapers throughout Southern California discussing the issue as well as various special reports on the subject from a variety of agencies external to the City of Los Angeles. Most notably, the collection contains a sizable number of original photos of the collection program throughout its various stages of development .

Mission Inn Foundation & Museum

Collection includes materials related southern California tourism, the Mission Revival movement, peace movement (1st half 20th century, citrus industry, and materials related to specific collections,including fine art, statuary, bells, crosses, dolls, aviation, Native American basketry, and Asian arts.

Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Museum Archives

The Museum Archives documents the history of the Los Angeles County Museum from its founding in 1910 to the present. The collection includes photographs, departmental papers, research papers, ephemera, publication, architectural plans, newspaper clippings and original artwork.

Hugh M. Hefner Moving Image Archive

USC began its film program in 1929 and we house all the produced student films as well as Educational and Hollywood films dating back to the 1910's. Individual collections include unique production documents and ephemera, including photographs, set design art, legal documents. Many parts of Los Angeles have been represented such as Kent MacKenzies Bunker Hill 1956.

Thomas E. Leavey Archives

The collection documents the life and times of Thomas E. Leavey who was born in 1897 near Ferndale in Humboldt County, California. He served briefly in the Army during World War I, attended Santa Clara University, graduated from Georgetown University, and arrived in Los Angeles in 1925. He was a co-founder of Farmers Insurance Group, a dedicated rancher, and a significant philanthropist prior to his passing in 1980. His interaction with business, religious, educational, charitable, and other communities within Los Angeles are superbly documented through photos, films, manuscripts, and various materials that have been gathered from family and corporate sources.

Marlborough School

Marlborough School is the oldest independent girls' school in southern California. Founded in 1889 in Pasadena by Mary S. Caswell, the School was located near U.S.C. (University Park, Chester Place) from 1890 to 1916 when it moved to its present location in Hancock Park. Created in 2001, the Archives fulfills its ambassadorial role by collecting, preserving and exhibiting historic items and materials related to the institution and its extended family of administrator, faculty, staff, students, parents and alumnae. Located in Marlborough's new Munger Hall, the Archive serves as the historical memory of the institution.

Chinese Historical Society of Southern California

The Chinese Historical Society of Southern California was founded in1975 to discover and recognize Chinese American pioneers and the history of Chinese Americans in Southern California. It also works to increase aware-ness of Chinese American heritage through public programs, education, and research. The society's holdings focus on Southern California Chinese American history. Its collections include three hundred transcriptions of oral history interviews with Southern Californian Chinese Americans, the Robert Nash Collection on Chinese junks and fisheries, artifacts from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority old Chinatown/Union Station excavation and the Santa Barbara Chinatown archaeological site, photographs of old Chinatown and China City, and three paintings of old Chinatown. Its archive contains extended summaries of the oral history interviews and a number of original documents. Some of the society's holdings are on display at the Chinatown Heritage and Visitors Center (411 Bernard Street).

Getty Research Institute, Research Library

Located on the Getty Center campus in Brentwood, the Research Library at the Getty Research Institute focuses on the history of art, architecture, and archaeology from prehistory to the contemporary period. Presently, the collections are strongest in the history of western European art and culture in Europe and North America; however, in recent years, they have expanded to include other areas, such as Latin America, Eastern Europe, and selected regions of Asia. The library's foundation lies in its special collections of original documents and objects. Recent acquisitions and initiatives have documented developments during the postwar years in Southern California. The special collections include contemporary artists' photographers' by Los Angeles artists; archives and manuscripts of Southern California artists, writers, and curators such as Sam Francis, Robert Irwin, and Henry Hopkins; archives of art publications such as High Performance magazine; prints, drawings, and multiples, including a complete set of those produced by Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions; rare photographs and photographers’ archives, such as Charles Brittin's; architectural drawings and comprehensive archives such as John Parkinson's drawings for Union Station, the Walt Disney Concert Hall documentation, the Pierre Koenig and John Lautner archives, and the Julius Shulman Photography Archive highlighting Los Angeles architecture. Documenting the advanced art that put Los Angeles and Southern California on the map of the international art world, Long Beach Museum of Art Video Archive, now part of the Research Library's collections, contains close to 5000 tapes and supporting files.