Bolton Hall Museum, Little Landers Historical Society
Artifacts, documents,photographs and memorabilia of Rancho Tujunga
Artifacts, documents,photographs and memorabilia of Rancho Tujunga
The exhibitions of the Catalina Island Museum draw on the collections and archival holdings of the Catalina Island Museum Society. The archaeological site material in the society’s collections dates from approximately seven thousand years ago to the early 1800s. This material includes artifacts from the indigenous people known as the Gabrieliño who were living on Catalina Island when the Spanish arrived in 1542. Also in the collections are approximately two thousand items dating from the 1880s to the present which pertain to Catalina Island’s maritime history and local industries and to sport fishing, recreation, and tourism. Items include boat models, boat motors, fish mounts, fishing rods and reels, early paddleboards, swimsuits, postcards, and Catalina pottery and tiles. A small number of paintings and prints of historical interest are in the collections as well. The society’s archives contain more than one hundred audiotaped oral history interviews with local residents, including many with members of the island’s Mexican American population, as well as several maps, various city and school records, a substantial ephemera collection documenting social and political activities on Catalina Island, and a very large number of photographs. Most of these holdings date to between the 1880s and the present.
The Museum exhibits American Indian cultural materials, primarily focused on cultures of the Southwestern, Great Basin and Californian culture regions, which were connected by a major trade route from circa 4,000 BP. One of the largest collections is from the California coast and Channel Islands. Seven thousand artifacts are represented, ranging in age from 8-9,000 BP to ethnographic/historic times.
Special Collections at the Glendale Central Library contains books about the City of Glendale and its history, clippings from newspapers published in the Glendale area, historical photographs, and ephemera related to community events. Materials about neighboring cities and California as they pertain to Glendale and books by local authors are also part of the collection. In addition to scrapbooks assembled by local organizations and individuals, the archival holdings include the personal papers of Carroll “Mr. Glendale” Parcher (1903–1992), who was at various times the editor of the Glendale News-Press, a member of the city council, and the city’s mayor; and the papers of Dora Verdugo (1882–1984), who was the great-granddaughter of Jose Verdugo, the original recipient in 1784 of the Spanish land grant for the property on which the City of Glendale is located.
Special Collections and Archives in the Oviatt Library is the home of CSUN's rare book and periodical collections, as well as its archival and manuscript collections. Archival and manuscript collections can consist of many different kinds of materials, including correspondence, diaries, maps, university records, organizational records, photographs, and audio or video recordings. The department is comprised of several areas within the Oviatt Library which were independently established between 1973 and 1996. Special Collections was established in 1973 to house the Library’s manuscripts, rare books, periodicals, maps, prints, and art. Special Collections holds over 35,000 cataloged items and 150 manuscript and archival collections which support the University's curriculum, as well as the research interests of faculty and students on campus. In addition to supporting curricular needs at California State University, Northridge, collecting is focused on several topical areas including American literature, California and the West, children's literature, the history of printing and publishing, human sexuality, music, 19th and 20th century Europe, radio and television scripts, religion, theater and motion pictures, and United States history. The Urban Archives was established in 1979 through the efforts of university faculty, concerned community organizations, and civic leaders. Its purpose is to collect historically significant records of voluntary associations, local political figures, prominent citizens, and civic leaders which have contributed to the growth of Los Angeles County, and influenced government and public thinking since the beginning of the late nineteenth century. The collections document urban development in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, education, journalism in Southern California, labor and guild history, minority and ethnic studies, politicians and political movements, social service and women in Los Angeles. The University Archives is the repository for the historical papers of California State University, Northridge's administration, Faculty Senate, schools and departments, and student activities on campus. The International Guitar Research Archives (IGRA) was founded in 1980, and now holds one of the world’s largest collections of guitar sheet music, especially works for solo guitar, ensemble pieces for multiple guitars, and ensemble pieces for guitar and other instruments. IGRA also holds accompanying resources documenting the lives and careers of numerous guitarists and professional associations, as well as other guitar-related materials. The Old China Hands Archives was established in 1996 to preserve and publicize the heritage of the many people from other countries and cultures who have resided and worked in China. The Archives holds a growing collection of materials generously donated by former Old China Hands, including correspondence, diaries, photographs, postcards, books, periodicals, newspapers, and other materials.
The materials of the Regional History Collection document 100 years of Southern California history in various formats. The collection was founded in the mid-1970s as a repository for the papers of Southern Californian political figures, among them Governor Jerry Brown Jr., Congresswoman Yvonne Brathwaite Burke; and Congressmen Alphonso Bell, Chet Holifield, Craig Hosmer, and Gordon McDonough. The scope of the collection was expanded with the acquisition of collections such as the Century Freeway project, the Webster and Christopher commissions, the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce, the Bunker Hill Redevelopment Project; the Los Angeles Examiner newspaper photographs and clippings morgue; the California Historical Society photographic collection; and the Dick Whittington photographic collection. The photographs of the California Historical Society and the negatives of the Los Angeles Examiner are accessible on the online Digital Archive: http://digarc.usc.edu/search/controller/index.htm
The Map and Imagery Laboratory promotes interdisciplinary use of spatial data and provides technologies for integrating analog and digital materials. Its holdings include a wide range of images in photographic and digital formats, a dynamic archive of maps, and digital data from various sources. Aerial photographs of Los Angeles and its communities are available for the years 1928 to present. A subset of the Map and Imagery Laboratory’s holdings may be accessed online.
Rare Books & Manuscripts oversees rare books, manuscripts, and historic photographs for the University of Southern California. In addition to its book holdings, Rare Books & Manuscripts maintains approximately two hundred collections of manuscripts, correspondence, archives, and artifacts. Among the collections related specifically to Los Angeles are the following: • Coulter’s Dry Goods: the Coulter family founded this business in down-town Los Angeles in 1878 and it flourished until the 1960s; included in the collection are a family history of B.F. Coulter, family photographs, photographs of window and counter displays, business correspondence, and news-paper clippings • Charles Leland Bagley: directories, minutes, bylaws, and correspondence that reflect the activities of band and orchestra musician, lawyer (graduate of the University of Southern California Law School, 1910–1911), and labor organizer Charles Leland Bagley (1873–1965); also in the collection are copies of the union publication Overture, which printed Bagley’s history of musical life in Los Angeles during the early decades of the twentieth century • Agua Caliente Indians (Judge Hilton McCabe): historical and legal files dating to the 1950s and 1960s that deal with the territorial claims of the Agua Caliente Indians near Palm Springs, as well as typescripts for and a copy of Golden Checkerboard, the book dealing with this subject that journalist Ed Ainsworth published in 1965 • The Scribes: rosters, minutes, bylaws, and members’ correspondence for the period 1926 to 1955 from the exclusive newspapermen’s club, which was founded in 1897 in Los Angeles • George H. Stewart: scrapbook of invitations, tickets, souvenir menus, acknowledgments, and newspaper clippings which was compiled between 1891 and 1910 by banker George H. Stewart, who was active in the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce and its president in 1908 and 1909 • Library of Aeronautical History: memoirs; training manuals; photographs of aircraft, airfields, and maintenance facilities; advertising brochures; and ephemera relating to early commercial aviation in the United States, with an emphasis on Southern California, the first airmail and cargo carriers, and the Western Air Express company (founded in 1926; later Western Air Lines) • Women’s International Association of Aeronautics (WIAA): biographies of early female aviators; correspondence; photographs; memorabilia; scrapbooks; instructional materials; copies of the WIAA publication Aerogram; and the personal archives of Elizabeth L. McQueen (Mrs. Ulysses Grant McQueen, d. 1958), founder of the WIAA and the Women’s Aeronautic Association of California, and organizer of the so-called Powder Puff Derby (Women’s Air Derby) • Poets Garden: publications, letters, diaries, and memorabilia of the women’s literary group surrounding Los Angeles poet Ruth Le Prade (1895–1969), along with material relating to West Coast poet Edwin Markham (1852–1940) • Los Angeles Corral of the Westerners: business files, correspondence, and publications archive for the period 1950 to the present from the Los Angeles chapter of the Westerners, a national organization devoted to the history of the Old West • Lawrence Lipton: during the 1950s, Lawrence Lipton (1890–1975) was instrumental in the creation of Venice West as the center of the Los Angeles beat movement; in the collection are business files, tax records, correspondence, typescripts, photographs, newspaper clippings, and literary journals; audiotaped interviews, readings, and radio programs, and Lipton’s archives for his Los Angeles Free Press column, “Radio Free America,” are also included • Illuminati Press: literary publications published between 1983 and 1988 by this Los Angeles small press • Rolfe/Lennon: articles (some photocopied) on Southern Californian literature, politics, and entertainment and on Jewish subjects written by the team of journalists Lionel Rolfe (b. 1942) and Nigey Lennon (b. 1954) between 1970 and the present, along with drafts for Rolfe’s Literary L.A. (1979) • Rupert Hughes: archives of Los Angeles novelist, biographer, screenwriter, and musicologist Rupert Hughes (1872–1956), including subject files, typescripts, correspondence, published articles, and personal memorabilia • Stephen Longstreet: typescripts, galleys, and drawings for books published by novelist, screenwriter, and art historian Stephen Longstreet (b. 1907), who taught creative writing at the University of Southern California between 1975 and 1980 • Henry Z. Osborne: miscellaneous papers relating to the Osborne family’s business and real estate activities in Los Angeles between 1900 and 1920; Californians twice elected Henry Zenas Osborne (1848–1923) to the U.S. House of Representatives • James Arkatov: approximately two hundred black-and-white images of classical conductors and soloists photographed in concert by Los Angeles Philharmonic cellist James Arkatov between 1950 and 1980.
The Social Science Data Archives maintains a collection of machine-readable survey, census, and administrative data files and provides access to publicly available data. A portion of the collection is focused on Los Angeles from a demographic, economic, social, or political viewpoint. Los Angeles-specific data may also be extracted from files in the collection that contain data from studies covering demographic areas larger than Los Angeles. To access and use the data in the files, researchers must know how to run one of the statistical software packages supported by Social Sciences Computing, such as SAS, SPSS, or STATA. Among the holdings specific to Los Angeles are data files from the Mexican American Study Project, a survey of the Hispanic community in Los Angeles (1960–1968); the Los Angeles County Social Survey, an annual survey of residents’ perceptions on a range of social, ethnic, political, and economic issues (1970–1998); and a number of U.S. Department of Justice surveys on crime, gangs, riots, and other social phenomena in twentieth-century Los Angeles. In addition to documentation for the data files, the holdings include the Eve Feidler Library, which comprises a small collection of books and pamphlets related to survey methodology, statistical analysis, and social policy.
The collection of the UCLA Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts comprises more than 45,000 prints, drawings, photographs, and artists' books dating from the Renaissance to the present. Established in 1956 with a substantial gift from Fred Grunwald, the collection has been steadily enriched through significant acquisitions and donations. A primary resource for teaching and research, the Grunwald Center houses one of the most significant collections of works on paper in the country. The Grunwald Center is home to several important Los Angeles-based collections. These include the archives of Sister Corita Kent (1918–1986), the Tamarind Lithography Workshop, and Edition Jacob Samuel. Designer of the “LOVE” postage stamp first issued by the United States Postal Service in 1985, Sister Corita Kent was art director at Immaculate Heart College in Los Angeles until 1968. Her colorful screen prints address social and political issues through the visual language of Pop Art and experimental typography. The Grunwald Center’s collection features several thousand examples of her work, including rare preparatory studies. The Tamarind Lithography Workshop was founded in 1960 by printmaker and painter June Wayne, a leader in the movement to revive the art of lithography in Los Angeles. Through partnerships between master printers and important contemporary artists, the workshop produced an eclectic group of limited edition lithographs. The Grunwald maintains a complete record of the first 20 years of Tamarind’s activities, offering a rich cross section of contemporary printmaking in Los Angeles and internationally. Co-owned with the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Jacob Samuel Archive documents the activities of master printer Jacob Samuel, who has been working out of his Ocean Park studio since 1988. Samuel, who has collaborated with artists ranging from Marina Abramovic to Christopher Wool, reinvents classic intaglio techniques to create stunning examples of contemporary printmaking. The Grunwald has been enriched by its long-standing association with the UCLA Department of Art. It houses an extensive selection of works by UCLA art department faculty from the past five decades, including Clinton Adams, William Brice, John Paul Jones, Catherine Opie, and James Welling. The Grunwald also maintains an important collection of works by Los Angeles photographers trained under Robert Heinecken, who established the Grunwald’s photography collection as a teaching resource for the photography program he built at UCLA.