1848-1899

Historical Society of the Crescenta Valley

Documents and photos relating to the history of the Crescenta Valley. The La Crescenta Valley Historical Society has a lot of materials on the New Years Flood of 1934, and the town of Montrose, plus some materials on the American portrait artist S. Seymour Thomas.

USC University Archives

The University of Southern California (USC) University Archives is the repository for the records of enduring value officially made or received by the University of Southern California, and for other materials of historical value related to the functions of the University. The University Archives includes material documenting the history and growth of the University of Southern California.

University of California, Los Angeles, Chicano Studies Research Center Library and Archive

Established in 1969, the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center (CSRC) Library and Archive was the first library of its kind and is now the only freestanding Chicano studies library in the United States. It provides information resources, reference services, and bibliographic instruction for those seeking information on the Chicano experience. The library makes its holdings accessible to users from UCLA and from around the world. Although the CSRC was originally founded to ensure preservation and accessibility of the Chicano experience, it is now becoming the repository of choice for Latino donors in general. The collection includes over 16,000 monographs, approximately 300 serial titles, a large collection of theses and dissertations, over 40,000 digital objects - many of them accessible on the UCLA Digital Library, and a large collection of posters, a/v materials, and a growing collection of archival holdings totalling close to 2,000 linear feet of material. Please note that we are a non-circulating library. Most items may be scanned or photocopied onsite. If you wish to access one of our special collections, please contact us before you visit to make appropriate arrangements.

Santa Monica History Museum

The Santa Monica Historical Society was founded in 1975 as part of the city’s centennial celebration with the mission of collecting and preserving the history, art and culture of the Santa Monica Bay Area. In 1988, a Museum was established to house the Society’s growing collections of artifacts, documents, rare books, newspapers, textiles, artwork, and photographic images. Currently, the Museum’s Image Archives comprise over 500,000 photographs and negatives depicting the local history of Santa Monica, Ocean Park, Santa Monica Canyon, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Venice and Marina del Rey. The Outlook Newspaper Collection, one of the Museum’s primary holdings, consists of newspapers in hardcopy and on microfilm, extensive files by people and subject headings, and an estimated 400,000 photographs and negatives. Operating from 1875 at the time of the city’s founding until 1998 when the publication ceased its operations, the daily newspaper covered local, regional, state and national events. With an award-winning staff of professional photographers, the newspaper produced a significant archive of images that comprehensively portray the cultural, political and social life of the Santa Monica Bay Area communities. In addition, the archive contains images of major events taking place in the greater Los Angeles area, including cultural affairs, politics, features, sports, celebrities, presidential visits and conventions, the Los Angeles riots and earthquakes, fires and floods. The Museum also houses the collections of Outlook Newspaper photographers Bill Beebe, consisting of approximately 75,000 images from the 1930s to the 1960s, and Bob Smith, consisting of approximately 6,000 images from the 1960s to the 1990s. The Museum’s Image Archives also include publisher Diane Margolin’s City Scene images, the Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce Collection and the Museum’s extensive collection of early Santa Monica photographs.

USC California Social Welfare Archives

The California Social Welfare Archives (CSWA) was organized in 1979 to collect materials that portray the development of social welfare in Southern California. Our goal is to ensure that pertinent knowledge, information and documents of historical significance are acquired, preserved, and made accessible for contemporary researchers and policy makers and for future generations. The CSWA also conducts an active Oral History Program consisting of focused interviews with lay and professional social welfare leaders in southern California. This program especially seeks to identify persons from the early years. Approximately 100 oral history tapes or disks are in the collections. Donated funds support the transcription and editing of these tapes. The organization conducts its activities under the umbrella of the University of Southern California School of Social Work, which provides some support services. It functions in collaboration with the Doheny Memorial Library's Archival Research Center (ARC), and CSWA collection is used in the ARC's Specialized Libraries and Archival Collections' reading room in the Doheny Library. Major collections include: Family Service of Los Angeles / Family Welfare Association of Los Angeles records from 1930 - 1937; The Los Angeles County Community Relations Conference / Community Relations Conference of Southern California records from 1947 - 1991; the Los Angeles Roundtable for Children records 1982; All nations Church and Foundation records and papers 1925 - 1965; Board of Social work Examiners records 1949 - 1955; California Association for Health and Welfare papers 1933 - 1969; Los Angeles County Coordinating Councils records 1930 - 1948; Gladys H. Culp papers 1945 - 1968; El Nido Services papers 1933 - 1986; Jessie E. Dean papers 1916 - 1943; Los Angeles Area federation of Settlements and Neighborhood Centers, Inc records 1961 - 1975; Rev. Dr. R.A. McKibben papers 1938 - 55; Metropolitan recreation and Youth Services Council papers 1944 - 72; Economic and Youth Opportunities Agency of Greater Los Angeles records 1963 - 1970; Neighborhood Adult Participation Project, Inc. records 1962 - 1978; California Association of School Social Workers papers 1927 - 1974; Board of Behavioral Science examiners records 1976 - 1982; Competence Certification Board records 1979 - 1982; Los Angeles Council of Social Agencies records 1926 - 1944; Special Service for Groups records 1948 - 1977; Anietta Tidball papers 1950 - 1956; Welfare Council of Metropolitan Los Angeles records 1945 -1954; Welfare Federation of the Los Angeles Area records 1925 - 1962; Southern California Building Funds records 1961 - 1992; Rancho Los Amigos records 1900 - 1990; Midnight Mission 1916 - ; and Carmen Combs papers 1923 - 1979.

Rancho Los Alamitos Foundation

The archives and collections of the Rancho Los Alamitos Foundation are site-specific and relate to the history of the locale. In the archives are approximately three thousand photographs, two hundred maps and drawings, various account books and business records, oral interviews, and films. Primarily the archival holdings document the running of a large ranching enterprise by the Bixby family between 1878 and 1952. As of 1921, this enterprise was financed by profits from local oil strikes, and a total of thirty-three ranches in California, Arizona, and New Mexico came under the ownership or management of the Bixby family at one time or another during the next thirty years. Some of the interviews, accounts, and photographs in the archives illustrate the lives of ranch workers and their families and of tenant farmers during this period, and a comprehensive series of photographs records the evolution of Rancho Los Alamitos’s historic gardens. Because the history of the use and occupancy of the mesa by humans stretches back to a.d. 500, the archives contain a small amount of secondary material on the patterns of Native American settlement, the Rancho period, and early ranching in the area. Although the foundation is not a collecting organization, the site itself and the buildings and gardens are historic and over 95 percent of the collections are original to the site. The adobe ranch house was occupied by the Bixby family between 1878 and 1962. The furnishings and art selected by the family show the aesthetic influence of both the Victorian age and the Arts and Crafts movement, yet the dominant character of the house is its warmth as an unpretentious family residence.

W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library

One of the world’s largest public collections of Arabian horse materials, the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library collection consists of materials in print and non-print format. The collection is intended to be used as a research facility by the University community as well as all who are interested in the Arabian horse. The WKKAHL collection does not circulate, though exceptions may be made for special circumstances. The Library also maintains a small Arabian horse art collection, which includes paintings, drawings, and sculpture. The collection includes current, as well as rare and out-of-print books, pamphlets, artwork, brochures, newsletters, videotapes, DVDs, periodicals, newspapers, photographs, letters, manuscripts, and reports pertaining to the Arabian horse. An extensive selection of foreign and domestic stud books are in the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library. Stud books from governmental and private registries are included, as are stud books from breeding programs no longer in existence. Periodicals are a significant element of the collection. Newsletters from many Arabian horse clubs are maintained; Arabian horse breeders farm brochures are also kept. The collection also includes video, such as farm movies, video magazines, and feature films. The WKKAHL houses two special collections. The W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Ranch Papers include files on the history of the Ranch and breeding program, as well as an assortment of materials that document and give insight into W.K. Kellogg’s life with Arabian horses, including video footage, artifacts, newspaper clippings, press releases, scrapbooks, personal correspondence, realia, and ephemera. The Gladys Brown Edwards Collection includes art (paintings, drawings, sculpture) and books written and acquired by Gladys Brown Edwards, as well as articles by and about her.

Cal Poly Pomona, Special Collections and University Archives

Subject strengths: local history, wine, cookbooks, poetry, botany, mycology, philosophy, art and architecture. Collections: University Archives, Cal Poly Rose Float Collection, Wine Industry Collection, The Thomas Pinney Collection of wine books and wine related research files, the United Farm Workers Collection, Virginia Hamilton Adair Collection, First Edition Collection, John Gill Modern Poetry Collection, Abraham Kaplan Collection, League of Women Voters (East San Gabriel Valley) Collection, Academic Senate Archive, Low magazine archive (student underground newspaper), Cal Poly Women's Club, Student Wives Club, Voorhis School for Boys, Voorhis Family, Robert Lawrence Balzer Collection, World Menu Collection, Kennedy Collection, Humphrey Mycology Collection. Campus History: Cal Poly Pomona was originally founded in San Dimas in 1938, as an all male agricultural/horticultural southern branch campus of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. In 1949 the college acquired the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Ranch in Pomona where it moved the campus in 1956. In 1961 it went coed and in 1966 separated from San Luis Obispo. In 1972, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona was awarded full university status. The University Archives, which document this history includes: photographs, books, records, memorabilia, architectural drawings, sound and video recordings, newspaper clippings and scrapbooks. The University Archives also include materials from the Voorhis School for Boys--the San Dimas institution for orphaned and underprivileged boys that originally inhabited the site of what later became the San Dimas/Voorhis campus of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Charles Voorhis built the school and his son H. Jerry Voorhis was headmaster. The school operated from 1928 to 1938, when Jerry Voorhis was elected to Congress. In 1938 Charles Voorhis donated the school facility to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo to be its Southern California branch. This permitted students to gain experience with cultivation of important "sub-tropical" crops such as oranges. Materials include photographs, film, video, DVDs, books, files, memorabilia, and architectural drawings. The Wine Industry Collection documents all aspects of the wine industry in Southern California, beginning with the Missions. This collection includes books, journals, newspapers, photographs, oral histories, posters, files, winery memorabilia, video recordings, news clippings, wine labels, wine bottles, medals, and wine club newsletters.

Angels Gate Cultural Center

Angels Gate is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to promoting the visual and performing arts and to the celebration of ethnic and cultural diversity through exhibitions, concerts, classes, workshops, and poetry readings. Founded in 1981, Angels Gate rents studio space to forty artists and exhibits their work. The annual exhibition schedule includes both a series of group shows (seven to eight per year) and a featured-artist-of-the-month series. Although Angels Gate is not a collecting organization, the site itself and the ten buildings that Angels Gate occupies are historic, and Angels Gate owns several steel sculptures that are on permanent display on the site.

Western Costume Company

Since 1912, Western Costume Company has supplied costumes for film, television, stage, and school productions. In 1915, this costume house established the first production research library. Today the library’s holdings document what people around the world have worn throughout the ages. The library’s archival holdings consist of costume sketches, historic costumes, and the Twentieth Century Fox costume still collection from the late 1930s -1970s.