1848-1899

Archdiocese of Los Angeles Archival Center

The Archival Center that the Archdiocese of Los Angeles built at the San Fernando Mission and opened in 1980 is a measured response to the church's obligation to collect and preserve records associated with the human activities constituting California's Catholic heritage. The facility houses papers, documents, correspondence, and related materials generated since 1840 by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and its antecedent jurisdictions. The Center's archives include numerous photographic collections and various image holdings that number in the hundreds of thousands. The center's library presently comprises about fifteen thousand books primarily on California history, American Catholic history, bibliography, archives, and archivism. Eleven digests of the center's archival documents have been published, and more than ten thousand of the library's books are classified and described in The Literary High Spots of Mission Hills, California (1998). Various objects from the center's holdings are on exhibit in the center's Historical Museum. It is the "hope and prayer" of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles "that the books, documents, manuscripts, and historical memorabilia housed at the Archival Center will become the means for as-yet-unborn generations to stand taller upon the shoulders of their predecessors."

Sephardic Temple Tifereth Israel

The collections of the Sephardic Temple Tifereth Israel relate to early Los Angeles religious history. They include two to three hundred photographs, correspondence between the president of the temple's community and the public, ephemera, newsletters, and sundry items connected to the Sephardic community's history in Los Angeles since 1912. The collection also includes information on the Sephardic Heritage Awards, audiocassettes of music and speeches by rabbis, videos of events at the temple, and a book about King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia of Spain's royal visit to the temple in 1987. The archives contain documents about the construction of the temple on Wilshire Boulevard (for example, statements for and against in the form of correspondence, legal and otherwise), photographs, and newsletters dating back to 1946 in which the collections are described in part.

Duarte Historical Museum

The collection of the Duarte Historical Society and Friends of the Library focuses on the history of the City of Duarte and adjacent Bradbury. Its archive includes photographs, records, and other artifacts related to the settlers and families who developed Duarte, the local schools, and the local citrus industry..

Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society

The Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society's collection contains photo-graphs, books, pamphlets, documents, artifacts, and oral interviews dealing with the history of the West San Fernando Valley, with emphasis on the area that was originally known as Owensmouth and is now called Canoga Park. Among these materials are high school yearbooks from 1916 to the 1950s; publications from the local women's club; a thesis on the development of the town; clippings and scrapbooks; and ephemera from the chamber of commerce, the Lion's Club, and other local organizations. Permanent and rotating displays at the society's museum depict life in the San Fernando Valley from the days of the Chumash Indians through the Mexican Rancho era and the period of dry farming and grain growing in the 1800s to the transformation brought about by the arrival of aerospace industries in the 1950s and 1960s.

Bison Archives

Historical photographs and information on the history of Los Angeles and the Southern California area. Archive specializes in the history of the television and motion picture industry (studios) in the U.S. and Los Angeles specifically.Archive also has in it architectural history of the Los Angeles area as well.

Armenian Numismatic Society

The Armenian Numismatic Society, an educational, non-profit organization, is the only active body in the world concerned with Armenian numismatics. The Society was established on February 27, 1971 as the “Armenian Coin Club.” On June 28, 1972, the name of the organization was changed to the “Armenian Numismatics and Artifact Society.” And by unanimous vote on November 25, 1974, the name of the Armenian Numismatics Society was chosen. The lectures and publications of the Society deal predominantly with Armenian coins, banknotes, medallions, stamps, artifacts, and archaeology.

Hirokazu Kosaka Collection

The private collection of Mr. Hirokazu Kosaka is a rich hybrid of various nations and traditions. They include photographs and objects from his family’s immigrant history from the late 19th century, archery equipment dating back to 1916, and correspondence letters from family members while in internment camps. Mr. Kosaka is much accomplished as he is an ordained Buddhist priest, an artist and master of Zen Archery. Presently he serves as chairman to the Los Angeles Dojo organization. In 1992 the Museum of Contemporary Art, (MOCA), published the book “In the Mood”.