Education

University of California, Los Angeles, Chicano Studies Research Center Library and Archive

Established in 1969, the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center (CSRC) Library and Archive was the first library of its kind and is now the only freestanding Chicano studies library in the United States. It provides information resources, reference services, and bibliographic instruction for those seeking information on the Chicano experience. The library makes its holdings accessible to users from UCLA and from around the world. Although the CSRC was originally founded to ensure preservation and accessibility of the Chicano experience, it is now becoming the repository of choice for Latino donors in general. The collection includes over 16,000 monographs, approximately 300 serial titles, a large collection of theses and dissertations, over 40,000 digital objects - many of them accessible on the UCLA Digital Library, and a large collection of posters, a/v materials, and a growing collection of archival holdings totalling close to 2,000 linear feet of material. Please note that we are a non-circulating library. Most items may be scanned or photocopied onsite. If you wish to access one of our special collections, please contact us before you visit to make appropriate arrangements.

Santa Monica History Museum

The Santa Monica Historical Society was founded in 1975 as part of the city’s centennial celebration with the mission of collecting and preserving the history, art and culture of the Santa Monica Bay Area. In 1988, a Museum was established to house the Society’s growing collections of artifacts, documents, rare books, newspapers, textiles, artwork, and photographic images. Currently, the Museum’s Image Archives comprise over 500,000 photographs and negatives depicting the local history of Santa Monica, Ocean Park, Santa Monica Canyon, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Venice and Marina del Rey. The Outlook Newspaper Collection, one of the Museum’s primary holdings, consists of newspapers in hardcopy and on microfilm, extensive files by people and subject headings, and an estimated 400,000 photographs and negatives. Operating from 1875 at the time of the city’s founding until 1998 when the publication ceased its operations, the daily newspaper covered local, regional, state and national events. With an award-winning staff of professional photographers, the newspaper produced a significant archive of images that comprehensively portray the cultural, political and social life of the Santa Monica Bay Area communities. In addition, the archive contains images of major events taking place in the greater Los Angeles area, including cultural affairs, politics, features, sports, celebrities, presidential visits and conventions, the Los Angeles riots and earthquakes, fires and floods. The Museum also houses the collections of Outlook Newspaper photographers Bill Beebe, consisting of approximately 75,000 images from the 1930s to the 1960s, and Bob Smith, consisting of approximately 6,000 images from the 1960s to the 1990s. The Museum’s Image Archives also include publisher Diane Margolin’s City Scene images, the Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce Collection and the Museum’s extensive collection of early Santa Monica photographs.

University of Southern California, Boeckmann Center for Iberian and Latin American Studies

The Boeckmann Center for Iberian and Latin American Studies was founded in 1985 with a donation of an 80,000 volume book collection related mainly to the study of Spain, Portugal and Latin America. However, this first donation also included books and pamphlets related to Alta and Baja California, the U.S. Hispanic Southwest, the U.S.-Mexico border region, and a small collection of early 20th century books and pamphlets published in Spanish in Los Angeles. Since the mid-1990s the Boeckmann Center has consistently documented the presence of Hispanics in Southern California. This initiative included the creation of the Cuban California Archive (est. in 1997) which focuses on contributions of Cuban Americans and Cuban exiles to Los Angeles and Southern California. Highlights include materials donated by Cuban American composer Aurelio de la Vega, newsletters from the community group the Patronato Jose Marti, items from the Lorente Family including the archive of Carlos Sebastian Lorente's B.L Engineering firm, photographs and playbills of the Havanafama theater group, copies of the Directorio Cubano de Los Angeles and books by and about Cuban American writers in Southern California. The Hispanic Community Archive (est. in 2004) includes the personal and scholarly papers of Luis Andres Murillo and his collection of bilingual ephemera and pamphlets, published in Los Angeles, exemplifying contemporary Spanish language usage in the area. Other donations include a collection related to the Escuela Argentina de Los Angeles, from Dr. Samuel Marks, a donation by Los Angeles teacher and music historian Raymond Valencia Lopez of printed works created for early bilingual education instruction, in the Los Angeles school district. Another collection contains materials relating to the Chicano Movement, Cesar Chavez and journalist Ruben Salazar. Among the Spanish language community newspapers in the collection, published and/or distributed in Los Angeles are complete runs, on microfilm or in hardcopy, of La Voz Libre, 20 de Mayo, Bohemio News, De Norte a Sur, and Tango Reporter. The Chicano Studies Serial Collection on microfilm contains numerous serial titles published in Los Angeles and Southern California. The Boeckmann Reference collection provides information on Mexican Americans, Chicanos/Latinos and other Hispanics in Los Angeles, in addition to reference works related to Spain, Portugal and all countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.

UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive

Though the UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive has traditionally focused on collecting musics outside of Los Angeles, in recent years the Archive has developed a significant collection of LA-based materials. These materials include the following: AFAMILA - Archiving Filipino American Music in Los Angeles: includes commercial and non-commercial recordings of LA based FilAm artists. Donn Borcherdt Collection: includes recordings of LA based Mexican music. GALA - Gospel Archiving in Los Angeles: includes commercial and non-commercial recordings of LA based Gospel music; UCLA Ethnomusicology Audiovisual Collection: includes audiovisual recordings documenting guest artists, lectures, and performance ensembles associated with ethnomusicology at UCLA; Emily Sene Collection: includes field recordings of LA based Sephardic music; D. K. Wilgus Folksong Collection: includes LA based field recordings documenting original field recordings of cowboy songs, jokes, oral histories, Japanese tales, Israeli folklore, blues, and folk music.

California State University, Dominguez Hills. Archives and Special Collections

The Archives and Special Collections Department at CSUDH serves several functions as the archives for the California StateUniversity System, CSUDH, and the Rancho San Pedro/Dominguez Family. In addition the Archives has various South Bay Los Angeles and Compton Collections, an Asian Pacific Studies Collection, the congressional papers of Glenn Anderson (the 105 Freeway is named for him) and rare book collections. The collection consists of nearly 2000 feet of archivalmaterials dating from the 1850s through the 1990s as well as 25,000 photographs. Although the California State University (CSU) system was founded in 1960, the Archives for the CSU System did not open until 1979. The work of collecting and transferring records began in 1981, with the designation of the Dominguez Hills campus as the CSU repository. Since each of the CSU campuses (including Dominguez Hills) has its own archives, the CSU Board of Trustees decided the CSU Archives would contain materials having only system-wide importance. Consequently, much of the material documents the activities of the Board and the Chancellor's Office, both located in Long Beach. The Dominguez Hills Archives serves as the institutional memory of the University and documents the functions and activities of its community.The Asian-Pacific Studies Collection documents Japanese- American evacuatio and internment during World War II, the Japanese Garden Collection and the Mochizuki Collection, which contains documents pertaining to the internmentof Japanese-Peruvians during World War II in the U.S. The local South Bay History Collection provides documentation regarding the early history Compton and the Rancho San Pedro and its original family owners-the Dominguez Family. These records include some early family records as well as extensive files on early 20th century LA businesses related to the Carson,Watson, Del Amo, Dominguez and other families. The Book Collection offers a wide of materials relating to the South Bay history, 19th-20th century popular literature, winners of the Newbery Honor Award for children's books and the Glen Schwendemann Bindery Collection (1550-1990s) which includes books relating to voyages of discovery as well as many re-bound books in vellum, leather and cloth. The Glenn M. Anderson Collection consists of the papers of the former California Congressman and deals extensively with South Bay Los Angeles transportation issues including highways and the Port of Los Angeles. Many finding aids are available on the Online Archive of California or the CSUDH web page.

Cal Poly Pomona, Special Collections and Archives

Subject strengths: local history, wine, cookbooks, poetry, botany, mycology, philosophy, art and architecture. Collections: University Archives, Cal Poly Rose Float Collection, Wine Industry Collection, The Thomas Pinney Collection of wine books and wine related research files, the United Farm Workers Collection, Virginia Hamilton Adair Collection, First Edition Collection, John Gill Modern Poetry Collection, Abraham Kaplan Collection, League of Women Voters (East San Gabriel Valley) Collection, Academic Senate Archive, Low magazine archive (student underground newspaper), Cal Poly Women's Club, Student Wives Club, Voorhis School for Boys, Voorhis Family, Robert Lawrence Balzer Collection, World Menu Collection, Kennedy Collection, Humphrey Mycology Collection. Campus History: Cal Poly Pomona was originally founded in San Dimas in 1938, as an all male agricultural/horticultural southern branch campus of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. In 1949 the college acquired the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Ranch in Pomona where it moved the campus in 1956. In 1961 it went coed and in 1966 separated from San Luis Obispo. In 1972, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona was awarded full university status. The University Archives, which document this history includes: photographs, books, records, memorabilia, architectural drawings, sound and video recordings, newspaper clippings and scrapbooks. The University Archives also include materials from the Voorhis School for Boys--the San Dimas institution for orphaned and underprivileged boys that originally inhabited the site of what later became the San Dimas/Voorhis campus of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Charles Voorhis built the school and his son H. Jerry Voorhis was headmaster. The school operated from 1928 to 1938, when Jerry Voorhis was elected to Congress. In 1938 Charles Voorhis donated the school facility to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo to be its Southern California branch. This permitted students to gain experience with cultivation of important "sub-tropical" crops such as oranges. Materials include photographs, film, video, DVDs, books, files, memorabilia, and architectural drawings. The Wine Industry Collection documents all aspects of the wine industry in Southern California, beginning with the Missions. This collection includes books, journals, newspapers, photographs, oral histories, posters, files, winery memorabilia, video recordings, news clippings, wine labels, wine bottles, medals, and wine club newsletters.

Lanterman House

Local history of the La Canada Valley and Flintridge and of the City of La Canada Flintridge (incorporated 1976). History of the Lanterman family, pioneer settlers of the La Canada Valley in the 1870s, who lived in La Canada until the family died out in 1987. History of Frank Lanterman's early career as a theater organist (including thousands of pieces of popular sheet music). History of Frank Lanterman's 28-year service (1950-1978) as a State Assemblyman and his championship of rights for the developmentally disabled. History of the restoration of the Lanterman House in the 1990s.

African American Resource Center, LA County Library

The Black Resource Center (BRC) was founded in 1978 as a special service of the County of Los Angeles Public Library to meet the informational, cultural, and educational needs of African Americans in Los Angeles County, by supporting research and study on social, historical and cultural aspects unique to the African Americans experience. The Center serves as an information and referral agency to other libraries, government agencies and the general public. It is an important link in the survival and preservation of the heritage of African Americans. The collection consists of books, periodicals, pamphlets, microform, videos/DVDs, audio-recordings, posters, and 16mm films. Preservation is a major concern of the Center. The collection includes microfilm of Black newspapers from 1899, and issues of the Los Angeles Sentinel from its inception in 1934 to the present. A core collection of books by and about black music and musicians was initiated in 1982, and is continuously maintained as new books become available. The Center provides reference assistance, subject bibliographies, and referral information regarding community resources and public agencies. The Center also presents programs with local authors and entertainers. The Center participates in local community activities such as job fairs, career days, and health fairs. The materials collection and other activities of the Resource Center are supported by funds from the County of Los Angeles Public Library and donations from private donors.

Marymount High School - Los Angeles

Marymount High School is a Catholic, independent, college preparatory school for girls, and was founded in 1923 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. While the school has played a singular role in local history, it has maintained an inter-related history with many other Marymount institutions, both in Southern California and around the world. Created in 2003 to coincide with the school's 80th Anniversary, the Archive collects, preserves, and exhibits historic items and materials related to the institution and an extended family of administrators, faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumnae. Housed within the Marian Library on a campus designated as Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 254, the Archive serves as the collective memory of the institution and seeks to enable those interested in seeing and interpreting Marymount history through its modest collections of multi-media.