Community Service Organizations

The Drucker Institute

The Drucker Institute, in cooperation with the Honnold/Mudd Library at the Claremont Colleges, maintains a collection of records donated by Peter Drucker and others with whom he interacted. The archives’ purpose is to support research related to Drucker’s life and work. The collection includes articles written by or about Peter Drucker, images and magnetic media, boxed awards and ephemera, and realia pertaining to Peter Drucker. If you have Drucker-related materials that you would like to contribute to the Archives, including personal correspondence, please contact Archivist Bridget Lawlor at druckerarchives@cgu.edu or 909-607-9212. Longer term, the Institute hopes to add material from other leading thinkers on management, leadership and related fields. Access to the collection is available by appointment. Please contact Bridget to make arrangements. The Drucker Digital Archives is a growing, searchable online replica of the archives’ physical records.

Cal-Pac United Methodist Commission on Archives and History

The Archives collection of the California-Pacific Annual Conference is comprised of annual conference journals, books, records of active and discontinued local churches, administrative documents, directories, newspapers, photographic and audio-visual materials, and ephemera documenting the history of the California-Pacific Annual conference and all it antecedents. Subject areas covered by the collection include, but are not limited to conference government and infrastructure, church histories, pastors, and various conference agencies. The Archives are housed in the Claremont School of Theology Library's Special Collection area. There are also additional electronic genealogical and historical material on the California- Pacific Conference Archives and History web page

Hugh M. Hefner Moving Image Archive

USC began its film program in 1929 and we house all the produced student films as well as Educational and Hollywood films dating back to the 1910's. Individual collections include unique production documents and ephemera, including photographs, set design art, legal documents. Many parts of Los Angeles have been represented such as Kent MacKenzies Bunker Hill 1956.

Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area

The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area archives documents this park unit of the National Park Service.  The digital archives contain materials from individuals and organizations connected to the recreation area such as environmentalist Margot Feuer, Chumash Chief Charlie Cooke, scientist Margaret Stassforth, the Mountain Conservancy Foundation, and the Friends of Satwiwa. The collection also includes historical materials regarding federal park sites within the recreation area such as Paramount Ranch, Rancho Sierra Vista, Circle X Ranch, Solstice Canyon, Franklin Canyon and Peter Strauss Ranch.

Pasadena Museum of History

The Research Library and Archives has been collecting material relating to the history of Pasadena since 1924. The archives contains approximately 1 million historic images (including photos, negatives, postcards, stereographs) of Pasadena and surrounding areas. There are 45 cubic feet of maps and plans of the area, as well as a set of Sanborm fire insurance maps for Pasadena. There is a large collection of ephemera, scrapbooks, and photo albums relating to the history of the city. There are about 250 special collections, including the Sylvanus Marston set of architectural drawings; the Tournament of Roses Collection; the Giddings-Hollingsworth Family Collection; the Fenyes-Curtin-Paloheimo Papers; the Black History Collection; the Hugh Anderson/Model Grocery Company Collection. There are more than 1,000 books and 50 linear feet of periodicals on the history of the city and general Southern California area, including a nearly complete run of Pasadena city directories from 1895-1976.

California State University Channel Islands

Camarillo State Hospital Collection. In 1932, 1500 acres located within the City of Camarillo, County of Ventura were acquired for a state hospital. The hospital was expected to house 7000 patients and over 700 staff. At completion, it was the largest mental hospital in the world. CAM officially closed in June of 1993, but, it was reacquired by the CSU in 1996 as the first university in the county. The CSH collection expounds upon this history in an original and artificial gathering of both hospital and archive-generated documents.

Los Angeles Unified School District, Art and Artifact Collection/Archives

The Los Angeles Unified School District’s (LAUSD) art and artifact collection has been amassed since the opening of the first district school in 1855. The collection began to be organized in 2001 when LAUSD received a grant to hire a part time collections curator and manager. The mission of the archives is to (1) engage and educate the Los Angeles Community, including students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni, as well as independent historians, curators, librarians, archivists, and interested parties, about the history of the LAUSD and its role within the greater community (2) preserve and protect the cultural heritage of the LAUSD (3) encourage the school community to become involved in the dynamic process of contributing to the Collection in ways that reflect current environments and cultures. Objects and artworks are located at both schools and administrative sites. Major collections include: Photographs and negatives depicting people, places and events at district schools taken by the Audio Visual Section, Public Information Office and other district branches from the 1930s through 1980s Paintings, drawings and murals donated by graduating classes Rare book collections of California History, Carnegie Art History Collection and Dawson Collection (formerly located at George Washington High School) and the former LAUSD Kindergarten Memorial and Professional Libraries Contents of Venice High School’s museum of antiquities called the Latin Museum Works Progress Administration paintings, murals and sculpture Misc. curriculum materials from the 1890s to 1970s Various District administrative records such as files on the 1965 Elementary and Secondary Education Act Historic schoolhouse furniture, teaching devices and office equipment

Chapman University, Leatherby Libraries

The Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections & Archives Library is the principle repository for the preservation and access of the Leatherby Libraries’ rare and unique collections. Special Collections holds rare books, manuscripts, maps and collections of enduring value while the Archives preserves the history of the university and the Chapman family. The department includes the Dan and Sarah Caton Hogan Seminar Room with appropriate presentation technology, the Aquin Mitsuo Yamagishi Reading Room, and the Huell Howser Reading Room. The Library was named by the late Trustee C. Stanley Chapman, Jr., and his wife, Joan Mt. Pleasant Chapman in honor of Joan’s uncle, Frank Mt. Pleasant, a Tuscarora Indian. We also hold material on the early years of Chapman University when it was located in Los Angeles: 1920-1923 CALIFORNIA SCHOOL OF CHRISTIANITY Located at the Wilshire Christian Church in Los Angeles from 1920-1921. Moved to 766 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, in 1921 1923-1934 CALIFORNIA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE Vermont Ave. campus 1934-1954 CHAPMAN COLLEGE Vermont Ave. campus from 1934-1942 Located on Whittier College Campus from 1942-1945 Vermont Ave. campus from 1945-1954

Mount Saint Mary's University

Mount Saint Mary's University was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in 1925 as the first Catholic women's college west of the Mississippi. It comprises two historic sites, the Chalon Campus high above Brentwood (1930), and the Doheny Campus, which occupies the former estate of Edward and Estelle Doheny, including the Doheny Mansion at 8 Chester Place (1899). The Mount's renowned nursing program, established in 1948, offered California's first four-year baccalaureate degree in nursing.  Notable collections document the Doheny family and the history of  Chester Place; outreach to Cuban refugees in the 1960s and other efforts promoting equity and diversity; and the charism of the Carondelet nuns in education and social justice.

Southern California Genealogical Society

The SCGS Library holds nearly 40,000 volumes, with a relatively small portion of the material related to LA. We have published indices to cemetery records, vital (birth, death and marriage) records, and immigration and naturalization. We provide free access to some data on our website. The Society is in the midst of a project to recreate the 1890 Census for Los Angeles County. The census records were lost in a fire in Washington DC, and our project is an attempt to recreate this valuable historical and genealogical resource. The 1890 data base will include vital records (births, deaths, marriage); cemetery records; city directories for the communities in the county; immigration and naturalization records; military records; voting records (Great Register); educational records; educational, social and fraternal societies; personal family records; and the flagship data, an every-name index of the Los Angeles Times from January 1, 1890 through December 31 of that year. New sources, as they are uncovered, will be added to this rich resource.