Spanish

A.K. Smiley Public Library

Collections include pamphlets and ephemera documenting the growth, industries, transportation, and social organizations of Los Angeles and greater southern California; photograph collections; thousands of books related to southern California; and numerous archival collections related to indiviuals, the citrus industry, and businesses in the Inland Empire.

California State University, Long Beach

The Virtual Oral/Aural History Archive, containing 1000+ hours of original oral history recordings accessible online, includes the following collections specially related to Los Angeles area: Asian American history; Labor History; Long Beach Area History; Mexican American History; Musical Developments in Southern California; Southeast Asian Communities; University History; Women's History

Center for Oral and Public History/California State University, Fullerton

Collections include 5,000+ oral histories in 250 projects, representing geographical, ethnic, political, religious, and social communities of selected Orange County, Los Angeles, Southern California, and Western US locales. Topics include community histories, environmental studies, including Sierra Club, Laguna Beach Greenbelt, Bolsa Chica, ethnic studies (African American, Native American, Mexican American, Japanese American, Judaica Studies, Vietnamese Americans), politics and government (Orange County politics, conservative women), society and culture (sulf culture, surf music, women with silicone breast implants, sports and society in Cold War Southern California, theater, baseball, women in long-term marriages, transformation of grocery stores, and new wave in Czechoslovakian film, 1990s UCI fertility clinic scandal, Mormon colonies in Mexico), just to name a few.

San Fernando Valley Historical Society

To share and make known the organization's significant archive and collections of San Fernando Valley history. SFVHS serves as caretaker of the Andres Pico Adobe historic site in Mission Hills as well as the Pioneer Cemetery in Sylmar.

Los Angeles Unified School District, Art and Artifact Collection/Archives

The Los Angeles Unified School District’s (LAUSD) art and artifact collection has been amassed since the opening of the first district school in 1855. The collection began to be organized in 2001 when LAUSD received a grant to hire a part time collections curator and manager. The mission of the archives is to (1) engage and educate the Los Angeles Community, including students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni, as well as independent historians, curators, librarians, archivists, and interested parties, about the history of the LAUSD and its role within the greater community (2) preserve and protect the cultural heritage of the LAUSD (3) encourage the school community to become involved in the dynamic process of contributing to the Collection in ways that reflect current environments and cultures. Objects and artworks are located at both schools and administrative sites. Major collections include: Photographs and negatives depicting people, places and events at district schools taken by the Audio Visual Section, Public Information Office and other district branches from the 1930s through 1980s Paintings, drawings and murals donated by graduating classes Rare book collections of California History, Carnegie Art History Collection and Dawson Collection (formerly located at George Washington High School) and the former LAUSD Kindergarten Memorial and Professional Libraries Contents of Venice High School’s museum of antiquities called the Latin Museum Works Progress Administration paintings, murals and sculpture Misc. curriculum materials from the 1890s to 1970s Various District administrative records such as Board Minutes, Annual Reports, Budgets and files on the 1965 Elementary and Secondary Education Act Historic schoolhouse furniture, teaching devices and office equipment

Western Costume Company

Since 1912, Western Costume Company has supplied costumes for film, television, stage, and school productions. In 1915, this costume house established the first production research library. Today the library’s holdings document what people around the world have worn throughout the ages. The library’s archival holdings consist of costume sketches, historic costumes, and the Twentieth Century Fox costume still collection from the late 1930s -1970s.

University of Southern California, Boeckmann Center for Iberian and Latin American Studies

The Boeckmann Center for Iberian and Latin American Studies was founded in 1985 with a donation of an 80,000 volume book collection related mainly to the study of Spain, Portugal and Latin America. However, this first donation also included books and pamphlets related to Alta and Baja California, the U.S. Hispanic Southwest, the U.S.-Mexico border region, and a small collection of early 20th century books and pamphlets published in Spanish in Los Angeles. Since the mid-1990s the Boeckmann Center has consistently documented the presence of Hispanics in Southern California. This initiative included the creation of the Cuban California Archive (est. in 1997) which focuses on contributions of Cuban Americans and Cuban exiles to Los Angeles and Southern California. Highlights include materials donated by Cuban American composer Aurelio de la Vega, newsletters from the community group the Patronato Jose Marti, items from the Lorente Family including the archive of Carlos Sebastian Lorente's B.L Engineering firm, photographs and playbills of the Havanafama theater group, copies of the Directorio Cubano de Los Angeles and books by and about Cuban American writers in Southern California. The Hispanic Community Archive (est. in 2004) includes the personal and scholarly papers of Luis Andres Murillo and his collection of bilingual ephemera and pamphlets, published in Los Angeles, exemplifying contemporary Spanish language usage in the area. Other donations include a collection related to the Escuela Argentina de Los Angeles, from Dr. Samuel Marks, a donation by Los Angeles teacher and music historian Raymond Valencia Lopez of printed works created for early bilingual education instruction, in the Los Angeles school district. Another collection contains materials relating to the Chicano Movement, Cesar Chavez and journalist Ruben Salazar. Among the Spanish language community newspapers in the collection, published and/or distributed in Los Angeles are complete runs, on microfilm or in hardcopy, of La Voz Libre, 20 de Mayo, Bohemio News, De Norte a Sur, and Tango Reporter. The Chicano Studies Serial Collection on microfilm contains numerous serial titles published in Los Angeles and Southern California. The Boeckmann Reference collection provides information on Mexican Americans, Chicanos/Latinos and other Hispanics in Los Angeles, in addition to reference works related to Spain, Portugal and all countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.

University of California, Los Angeles, Chicano Studies Research Center Library and Archive

Established in 1969, the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center (CSRC) Library and Archive was the first library of its kind and is now the only freestanding Chicano studies library in the United States. It provides information resources, reference services, and bibliographic instruction for those seeking information on the Chicano experience. The library makes its holdings accessible to users from UCLA and from around the world. Although the CSRC was originally founded to ensure preservation and accessibility of the Chicano experience, it is now becoming the repository of choice for Latino donors in general. The collection includes over 16,000 monographs, approximately 300 serial titles, a large collection of theses and dissertations, over 40,000 digital objects - many of them accessible on the UCLA Digital Library, and a large collection of posters, a/v materials, and a growing collection of archival holdings totalling close to 2,000 linear feet of material. Please note that we are a non-circulating library. Most items may be scanned or photocopied onsite. If you wish to access one of our special collections, please contact us before you visit to make appropriate arrangements.

UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive

Though the UCLA Ethnomusicology Archive has traditionally focused on collecting musics outside of Los Angeles, in recent years the Archive has developed a significant collection of LA-based materials. These materials include the following: AFAMILA - Archiving Filipino American Music in Los Angeles: includes commercial and non-commercial recordings of LA based FilAm artists. Donn Borcherdt Collection: includes recordings of LA based Mexican music. GALA - Gospel Archiving in Los Angeles: includes commercial and non-commercial recordings of LA based Gospel music; UCLA Ethnomusicology Audiovisual Collection: includes audiovisual recordings documenting guest artists, lectures, and performance ensembles associated with ethnomusicology at UCLA; Emily Sene Collection: includes field recordings of LA based Sephardic music; D. K. Wilgus Folksong Collection: includes LA based field recordings documenting original field recordings of cowboy songs, jokes, oral histories, Japanese tales, Israeli folklore, blues, and folk music.

Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Lillian Fellows Memorial Archive

Childrens Hospital Society of Los Angeles was established in 1901 by a small group of women who recognized the need for a hospital that could serve ill, crippled, and under-privileged children. The original hospital, opened in 1902, was a modest two-story, canary-yellow, clapboard house. It had nine beds, was served by one volunteer doctor and treated fourteen patients its first year. By 1905, the hospital had expanded to accommodate twenty patients, the kitchen pantry converted in to a surgery suite, and 229 children had received care. The hospital soon after received two generous donations- one of land, the other of real-property, which made possible a relocation and expansion of the hospital, and in 1913, Childrens Hospital opened a 100-bed facility in a remote, unincorporated part of the city at Sunset & Vermont Avenues. Subsequent years of tireless and ingenious fund raising efforts by all-female board of directors, managers, and auxiliaries produced steady income for the non-profit hospital. Today, CHLA is a national leader in pediatric care and research and serves over 300,000 patients annually at its four-acre facility. The Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Lillian Fellows Memorial Archive is named for the daughter of Emma Phillips, the donor who bequeathed the land upon which the current hospital is situated. Mrs. Phillips’ gift stipulated that her deceased daughter’s portrait hang for fifty years in the new hospital, and that portrait now serves as the cornerstone of the archive collection. Development of the archive began in 2000 with the collection and assessment of historical materials for research on the book, “Childrens Hospital and the Leaders of Los Angeles: The First 100 Years,” by Margaret Leslie Davis, published in conjunction with the CHLA Centennial Celebration. The archive is home to a variety of materials, including photographs, medical records, publications, scrapbooks, diaries, documents, artwork, and artifacts. Photographic images include hospital founders, patients, doctors, administrators, campus development, and regional images of general historic interest. The archive contains complete collections dating from 1901 through 1940 of annual reports, admissions logs, medical procedures summaries, and daily census reports, as well as monthly newsletters published since 1940. The records of Mrs. Gabriel Duque, long term Chair of the Associates & Affiliates and CHLA Board member, are preserved in the archive, as are generous donations of historic materials from various auxiliary groups including fund-raising records, annual Doll Fair, Fashion Show, and Debutante Ball scrapbooks, administration files, meeting minutes, 1940s Debutante Registers, publicity brochures, and a variety of World War II memorabilia. Also housed in the archive are oral histories of hospital administrators, doctors, nurses, and volunteers gathered under the auspices of the Centennial Celebration project.