Religious Organization

American Jewish University, Ostrow Library & University Archives

The American Jewish University Archives are various collections of documents, pamphlets, letters, audio, films, publications, photographs, scrapbooks, and ephemera that document the history of the University of Judaism and the Brandeis-Bardin Institute which merged to become American Jewish University in 2007, depicting people, places and events at both campuses.

Cal-Pac United Methodist Commission on Archives and History

The Archives collection of the California-Pacific Annual Conference is comprised of annual conference journals, books, records of active and discontinued local churches, administrative documents, directories, newspapers, photographic and audio-visual materials, and ephemera documenting the history of the California-Pacific Annual conference and all it antecedents. Subject areas covered by the collection include, but are not limited to conference government and infrastructure, church histories, pastors, and various conference agencies. The Archives are housed in the Claremont School of Theology Library's Special Collection area. There are also additional electronic genealogical and historical material on the California- Pacific Conference Archives and History web page

Mount Saint Mary's University

Mount Saint Mary's University was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in 1925 as the first Catholic women's college west of the Mississippi. It comprises two historic sites, the Chalon Campus high above Brentwood (1930), and the Doheny Campus, which occupies the former estate of Edward and Estelle Doheny, including the Doheny Mansion at 8 Chester Place (1899). The Mount's renowned nursing program, established in 1948, offered California's first four-year baccalaureate degree in nursing.  Notable collections document the Doheny family and the history of  Chester Place; outreach to Cuban refugees in the 1960s and other efforts promoting equity and diversity; and the charism of the Carondelet nuns in education and social justice.

The Salvation Army Museum of the West

The Salvation Army Museum of the West houses materials of the Western Territory of the Salvation Army. The Southern California Division is headquartered in Los Angeles proper but services all of Southern California, including Salvation Army churches, Adult Rehabilitation Centers, shelters, and other programs run by The Salvation Army. The collection chronicles the developments and changes of The Salvation Army from its first arrival in Los Angeles in 1887 to present day.

Marymount High School - Los Angeles

Marymount High School is a Catholic, independent, college preparatory school for girls, and was founded in 1923 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. While the school has played a singular role in local history, it has maintained an inter-related history with many other Marymount institutions, both in Southern California and around the world. Created in 2003 to coincide with the school's 80th Anniversary, the Archive collects, preserves, and exhibits historic items and materials related to the institution and an extended family of administrators, faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumnae. Housed within the Marian Library on a campus designated as Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument No. 254, the Archive serves as the collective memory of the institution and seeks to enable those interested in seeing and interpreting Marymount history through its modest collections of multi-media.

Archdiocese of Los Angeles Archival Center

The Archival Center that the Archdiocese of Los Angeles built at the San Fernando Mission and opened in 1980 is a measured response to the church's obligation to collect and preserve records associated with the human activities constituting California's Catholic heritage. The facility houses papers, documents, correspondence, and related materials generated since 1840 by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and its antecedent jurisdictions. The Center's archives include numerous photographic collections and various image holdings that number in the hundreds of thousands. The center's library presently comprises about fifteen thousand books primarily on California history, American Catholic history, bibliography, archives, and archivism. Eleven digests of the center's archival documents have been published, and more than ten thousand of the library's books are classified and described in The Literary High Spots of Mission Hills, California (1998). Various objects from the center's holdings are on exhibit in the center's Historical Museum. It is the "hope and prayer" of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles "that the books, documents, manuscripts, and historical memorabilia housed at the Archival Center will become the means for as-yet-unborn generations to stand taller upon the shoulders of their predecessors."

Immanuel Presbyterian Church

Immanuel Presbyterian Church has corporate minutes; organizational records of governing bodies, committees, and other subgroups; and membership records. In the church's library are publications dealing with the history of the church, which is over one hundred years old and was known as a leader in the neighborhood, the city, and the Presbyterian community during the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s. Immanuel Presbyterian Church is now focusing on being more responsive to the needs of the community and on creating bonds between the church and the surrounding area. For example, the church conducts citizenship classes and participates in various collaborative efforts with other community development organizations and the Wilshire Chamber of Commerce. The congregation presently comprises Hispanics from Central and South America and Mexico, Anglos, Filipinos, Koreans, and African Americans.

Sisters of Social Service

Collections of the organization document the history of the Sisters in Los Angeles and California from 1926-present. Particular emphasis is given to Hungarian immigrant experience and social services with Hispanic neighborhoods. Archives also include records which reflect the activities of the Social Service Auxiliary and Juniors of Social Service.