Library

Sierra Madre Historical Archives

The Sierra Madre Historical Archives collects, preserves, and provides access to a variety of materials that tell the Sierra Madre story: photographs, slides, postcards, scrapbooks, city directories, maps, letters, periodicals, posters, works of art, sound recordings, moving images, and ephemera. The archives collection includes the Sierra Madre Oral History Project in which residents describe Sierra Madre social life and customs. The collection's subject area strengths include San Gabriel Mountain resorts accessible via local trails and Sierra Madre art and artists. The local history collection is built on a partnership. It is jointly owned and maintained by the Sierra Madre Historical Preservation Society and the Sierra Madre Public Library.

Los Angeles Public Library, Rare Books Room / Digitization & Special Collections Department

Our core rare book collections include California history, Mexicana, bullfighting, Pacific voyages, food and wine, costume, travel in North America, Europe and the Near East, history of the book and printing, ornithology and Native American culture and history. 
Our special collections include the Casey Fashion Plate Collection, the Tom Owen Collection of Bookplate Art, Japanese woodblock prints, California prints, artists' books, travel posters, the Menu Collection, the Paul Fritzche Collection of Culinary Literature, the Cookery Ephemera Collection, fruit crate labels, the Gladys English Collection of American Children's Book Illustration, the Behymer Opera Collection, the Charles F. Lummis Autograph Collection (over 700 signatures, poems, notes and original art from 19th to early 20th century notable figures), George A. and Florence A. Dobinson Letters (mainly correspondences), Beaudry Candy Company Archive (company records in ledgers, notes and handwritten recipes), personal photographs of Walter Henry Rothwell (first director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic), minutes, correspondences and notes of the Southwest Society and the Southwest Museum, L.A. Mayor Sam Yorty scrap books, Orra Eugene Monnette papers and the Los Angeles Resistance Collection (documents the non-cooperation with the Vietnam War draft).

 

Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden

The Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden has a large archive of historic photographs relating to Rancho Santa Anita, Elias J.(Lucky) Baldwin and this history of the Arboretum. It also holds thephotographic archive of William Chrisman Aplin (1912-1993) a photographer who worked for Sunset magazine and photographed extensively the plants and gardens of Southern California.

The Drucker Institute

The Drucker Institute, in cooperation with the Honnold/Mudd Library at the Claremont Colleges, maintains a collection of records donated by Peter Drucker and others with whom he interacted. The archives’ purpose is to support research related to Drucker’s life and work. The collection includes articles written by or about Peter Drucker, images and magnetic media, boxed awards and ephemera, and realia pertaining to Peter Drucker. If you have Drucker-related materials that you would like to contribute to the Archives, including personal correspondence, please contact Archivist Bridget Lawlor at druckerarchives@cgu.edu or 909-607-9212. Longer term, the Institute hopes to add material from other leading thinkers on management, leadership and related fields. Access to the collection is available by appointment. Please contact Bridget to make arrangements. The Drucker Digital Archives is a growing, searchable online replica of the archives’ physical records.

California State University San Bernardino, John M. Pfau Library-Latino Baseball History Project

Initiated in 2004 as a collaboration between the California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA) John F. Kennedy Library and The Baseball Reliquary, the Project resulted in the creation of the first baseball exhibit, “Mexican American Baseball in Los Angeles: From the Barrios to the Big Leagues”. The inaugural exhibit was received an overwhelming public response, several awards and recognitions, including the Helen and Martin Schwartz Prize for Public Humanities (December, 2007). In 2007 the co-founder of the project at CSULA, Cesar Caballero, accepted a new position as University Librarian and Dean of the John M. Pfau Library at California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB). Based on the success and interest that was generated from the initial exhibit, Dean Caballero and Terry Cannon, the other Project co-founder and Executive Director of The Baseball Reliquary created a plan to expand the project. Toward this effort, the Project was re-launched in May 2009 as “The Latino Baseball Project: The Mexican-American Experience,” with an opening reception that attracted over 200 guests from the community, including a wealth of former baseball players and their families. In July 2009, we hosted a “Latino Baseball Reunion” that was also well attended and was a success in that numerous ball players and their families brought artifacts for scanning and cataloging. In July 2010, a second Reunion was convened with more artifacts being donated and significantly, a more diverse response from community participants, including students. All the events have been carefully planned and hosted in a manner that welcomes the general community to the campus, builds ‘ownership’ of the Project from the veterans, so that they are valued as key to the success of the endeavor, and fosters a greater interest from the at large public to take note and interest in the ongoing activities and impact of the Project.

Water Resource Center Archives, University of California

The Water Resources Center Archives (WRCA) is a unique library that collects archival materials on all aspects of water resources in California and the West. WRCA manages over 125 collections with several significant collections that pertain to water development in southern California. These collections include Franks Adams, Harry F. Blaney, John D. Galloway, Walter L. Huber, Oman J. Lillevang, Charles Lee, J.B. Lippincott, Thomas H. Means, Andrae B. Norskog, and James D. Schuyler.

San Fernando Valley Historical Society

To share and make known the organization's significant archive and collections of San Fernando Valley history. SFVHS serves as caretaker of the Andres Pico Adobe historic site in Mission Hills as well as the Pioneer Cemetery in Sylmar.

Pasadena Museum of History

The Research Library and Archives has been collecting material relating to the history of Pasadena since 1924. The archives contains approximately 1 million historic images (including photos, negatives, postcards, stereographs) of Pasadena and surrounding areas. There are 45 cubic feet of maps and plans of the area, as well as a set of Sanborm fire insurance maps for Pasadena. There is a large collection of ephemera, scrapbooks, and photo albums relating to the history of the city. There are about 250 special collections, including the Sylvanus Marston set of architectural drawings; the Tournament of Roses Collection; the Giddings-Hollingsworth Family Collection; the Fenyes-Curtin-Paloheimo Papers; the Black History Collection; the Hugh Anderson/Model Grocery Company Collection. There are more than 1,000 books and 50 linear feet of periodicals on the history of the city and general Southern California area, including a nearly complete run of Pasadena city directories from 1895-1976.

California State University Channel Islands

Camarillo State Hospital Collection. In 1932, 1500 acres located within the City of Camarillo, County of Ventura were acquired for a state hospital. The hospital was expected to house 7000 patients and over 700 staff. At completion, it was the largest mental hospital in the world. CAM officially closed in June of 1993, but, it was reacquired by the CSU in 1996 as the first university in the county. The CSH collection expounds upon this history in an original and artificial gathering of both hospital and archive-generated documents.

Chapman University, Leatherby Libraries

The Frank Mt. Pleasant Library of Special Collections & Archives Library is the principle repository for the preservation and access of the Leatherby Libraries’ rare and unique collections. Special Collections holds rare books, manuscripts, maps and collections of enduring value while the Archives preserves the history of the university and the Chapman family. The department includes the Dan and Sarah Caton Hogan Seminar Room with appropriate presentation technology, the Aquin Mitsuo Yamagishi Reading Room, and the Huell Howser Reading Room. The Library was named by the late Trustee C. Stanley Chapman, Jr., and his wife, Joan Mt. Pleasant Chapman in honor of Joan’s uncle, Frank Mt. Pleasant, a Tuscarora Indian. We also hold material on the early years of Chapman University when it was located in Los Angeles: 1920-1923 CALIFORNIA SCHOOL OF CHRISTIANITY Located at the Wilshire Christian Church in Los Angeles from 1920-1921. Moved to 766 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, in 1921 1923-1934 CALIFORNIA CHRISTIAN COLLEGE Vermont Ave. campus 1934-1954 CHAPMAN COLLEGE Vermont Ave. campus from 1934-1942 Located on Whittier College Campus from 1942-1945 Vermont Ave. campus from 1945-1954