Gallery

California Historical Society

The California Historical Society collects materials of enduring historical and cultural value in support of its mission to inspire and empower Californians to make the past a meaningful part of their contemporary lives. In our North Baker Research Library, we hold some fifty thousand books and pamphlets, four thousand manuscript collections, half a million photographs, as well as ephemera, periodicals, posters, maps and more. For Los Angeles and the surrounding area we have nearly 23,000 photographs from the Title Insurance and Trust Company (TICOR) and the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce (LAACC) housed and managed for CHS by the Regional History Center at the University of Southern California and viewable through the USC Digital Library (digitallibrary.usc.edu). Documenting development of the Los Angeles region from 1860 to 1960, the TICOR collection includes the work of many prominent local photographers, including C. C. Pierce. The LAACC collection includes promotional images in addition to depicting the growth of the city and the transportation system. Besides these two important collections and other photographs, Southern California is represented chiefly by printed books and pamphlets, periodicals, and ephemera, including many early promotional pieces with gems such as the 1888-89 Southern California Tourists’ Guide-Book, and an 1885 pamphlet entitled The Great Interior Fruit Belt and Sanitarium of Southern California, San Bernardino County, and Valleys Tributary Thereto.

Mission Inn Foundation & Museum

Collection includes materials related southern California tourism, the Mission Revival movement, peace movement (1st half 20th century, citrus industry, and materials related to specific collections,including fine art, statuary, bells, crosses, dolls, aviation, Native American basketry, and Asian arts.

FIDM Museum at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising

Mission Statement: The FIDM Museum & Galleries provides students, researchers, designers, and the public with resources to examine the role of historic fashion, accessories, textiles, jewelry, fragrance, and related ephemera in their relationship to society, history, and technology. The collections are sustained by standard museum practices for continued acquisition, preservation, and display. Educational, outreach, and volunteer programs support the scholarly interpretation of the collections. History: The FIDM Museum & Library, Inc. was founded in 1978 to serve FIDM and the community. Since January 1999, the Museum's operations have been separate from the Library in order to offer more specialized care and attention to the specific needs of the historic fashion collection, and museum-trained personnel have been added to the staff. Collections: The FIDM Museum houses over 15,000 garments, accessories, and textiles from the 18th century through the present day, including film and theatre costume. It is one of the largest such collections in the United States. The Museum Collections are split into two major parts: the Permanent Collection, used for exhibition and research; and the Study Collection, used by students for hands-on education and inspiration. The Study Collection is divided among the four FIDM campuses: Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, and Orange County. Collections are maintained using standard museum practices advocated by the American Association of Museums and are constantly researched, exhibited, and published, both nationally and internationally. The FIDM Museum houses the early Hollywood Costume Collection on loan from the Department of Recreation and Parks, City of Los Angeles, as well as the Rudi Gernreich Archive and Gianni Versace Menswear Archive. FIDM Museum Special Collections includes periodicals, books, fashion ephemera, and the Michel Arnaud Fashion Photography Archive.

Woodbury University

Print & photo archives from costume designer Howard Greer Original gowns and garments by Los Angeles designers: James Galanos, Rudi Gernreich, Irene Saltern, Edith Head, and Gilbert Adrian.

Angels Gate Cultural Center

Angels Gate is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to promoting the visual and performing arts and to the celebration of ethnic and cultural diversity through exhibitions, concerts, classes, workshops, and poetry readings. Founded in 1981, Angels Gate rents studio space to forty artists and exhibits their work. The annual exhibition schedule includes both a series of group shows (seven to eight per year) and a featured-artist-of-the-month series. Although Angels Gate is not a collecting organization, the site itself and the ten buildings that Angels Gate occupies are historic, and Angels Gate owns several steel sculptures that are on permanent display on the site.

All the Saints of the City of the Angels

Collection Description: An historical and poetic road trip through the cultural heritage of Los Angeles, via its hundred streets named for saints. Contending that the history of a place resides in its names, "All the Saints" seeks the points of convergence between the stories of the saints and the histories of the streets which bear their names. The results are rendered in painting and story. Thus far, over 100 paintings and dozens of essays have been collected into a major coffee table book (published by Heyday Books, 2008) and an exhibition at the Autry Museum (through September 2008); as well as a website, public installations, and adssorted merchandise.

The Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage

The Gilb Museum of Arcadia Heritage was opened in 2001 and is named after its lead donors, Ruth and Charles Gilb. The Museum is maintained and operated by the City of Arcadia and houses artifacts and artwork representative of local Arcadia history and culture. The Museum presents seven individual interpretive exhibit spaces with both permanent and temporary exhibits as well as three off-site exhibits at City Hall, City Council Chambers and the Community Center. The main, permanent, gallery presents a chronology of Arcadia's history beginning with the Gabrieliño/Tongva (Native Americans indigenous to Arcadia) and works its way through the early American period with the rancho of Santa Anita, the story of Elias J. “Lucky” Baldwin and the beginning of the City of Arcadia. Also on display are artifacts and exhibits of Santa Anita Park, the Arcadia World War I Balloon School, the Santa Anita Japanese Assembly Center and Anita M. Baldwin. Two other permanent spaces are “Movie Magic: Arcadia in the Movies” and “Famous Arcadians.” Our Research Library houses temporary local history exhibits and displays of our archival collections. Research in our collections is by appointment only. In the Arcadia Veterans Local History Room the Museum presents a remembrance of Arcadians who have served in the military. This space houses the Arcadia Veterans Registry, where Veterans from all theatres are invited to add their personal information and photograph to the registry. In addition, the Museum houses the City’s Blue Star Registry and honors Operation Hometown Heroes. Our main temporary space rotates exhibits that share the many aspects of Arcadia's art and history. Past exhibits have included: “Tongva: Our Voice, Our History, Our People,” “Dreams and Delusions: The Surreal World of Dean Fleming,” “Only What We Could Carry: The Santa Anita Japanese Assembly Center,” “Traditional Silk and Silver Fashions of China's Minorities,” “Get Your Kicks on Route 66” and “Airships over Arcadia, WWI.” Temporary exhibits also include topics on community themes and an annual juried photography contest and exhibit. The Museum hosts educational family and adult programming in our Museum Education Center. On third Thursdays the Museum presents Lunchtime Talks with different speakers and topics each month from January through June and September through November. On selected months we present our Hands on Saturdays for Families program, which celebrates a variety of cultural themes bringing families together while educating and immersing in world cultures. Scout Days are presented throughout the year for local troops to come and earn their badges. We also offer educational school tours of the exhibits with an additional hands-on component. Lectures on local history are offered from an assortment of speakers and topics. Favorite lectures in the past have been on the Arcadia WWI Balloon School; Mount Lowe and Pancho Barnes’ connection to Arcadia; the life of Anita Baldwin; and the railroad system in Arcadia. Adult workshops have included working with genealogy, and the ongoing Preservation Series: The Personal Museum, when the Curator shares tips and knowledge about how to care for treasures in “personal museums” in each family home. There is also opportunity to share and record individual stories utilizing the Museum's oral history program: Write Your Own Reminiscence and a senior Those Were the Days Sing-a-Long. The Curator sets time aside each month for visitors to Ask the Curator about how to care for their family artifacts. Cultural programming is also a focal point in our programming. We have held demonstrations on skills such as flintknapping and have welcomed local Native Americans who share their culture of storytelling, native plants and basketweaving. The Museum opens in the evening, after hours, during the spring and summer for two special programs. Arcadia at the Movies delights guests as we watch and discuss movies that have been filmed in Arcadia. Our Spring Soirée offers an evening to relax under the stars with a significant local artist’s work, a wine and cheese reception and acoustic music. There is something for everyone at the Gilb Museum!

ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives

Founded in 1952, the ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives in Los Angeles is the oldest continuously-operating GLBT organization in the United States and the largest archive in the world dedicated to collecting and preserving GLBT humanities materials. Our collection comprises over 30,000 volumes of books and monographs; over 7,000 titles of GLBT periodicals; 5,000 linear feet of manuscript and photograph collections; 15,000 items of audiovisual and moving image materials; and over 100,000 items of other materials, including posters, banners, textiles and ephemera. In total, ONE’s collection contains over two million items. Collected for over 60 years by ONE and historian Jim Kepner, ONE’s materials span over a century and are international in scope. In 2010, the ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives became a part of the University of Southern California Libraries, which provides operational support to ONE for preserving and improving access to its collections. The USC Libraries actively support the discovery, creation, and preservation of knowledge with collections and services that encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff. Library collections include more than 4 million volumes, 5.8 million microforms, 3.1 million visual materials, 98,700 serial titles, and 48,500 linear feet of manuscripts and archives.

El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument

El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument is the oldest section of Los Angeles. Its twenty-seven historic buildings clustered around an old plaza range in architectural style from an adobe dwelling of 1818 to a Spanish-style church of 1926. Four of the buildings have been restored as museums. A brochure describing the buildings is available at the Information Desk in the Plaza or at the El Pueblo Visitors’ Center in the Sepulveda House. El Pueblo’s docent organization, Las Angelitas del Pueblo, provides free tours to groups (Tuesday–Saturday, 10 am–1 pm; call 213-628-1274). El Pueblo’s archaeological collection consists of artifacts uncovered during excavations in the El Pueblo area since 1972. Dating from the indigenous or Native American period (before 1781), the Spanish colonial era (1781–1821), the Mexican era (1821–1848), and the first century of the American era (1850s–1940s), these artifacts include numerous “trash pit” shards such as animal bones, household goods, tools, bottles, and ceramics. El Pueblo also holds a range of archival materials relating to the site and its history.

Paley Center for Media

The Museum of Television & Radio, with locations in New York and Los Angeles, is a non-profit organization founded by William S. Paley to collect and preserve television and radio programs and advertisements and to make them available to the public. Since opening in 1976, the museum has organized exhibitions, screening and listening series, seminars, and education classes to showcase its collection of over 100,000 television and radio programs and advertisements. In 2001, the museum initiated a process to acquire Internet programming for the collection. Programs in the museum's permanent collection are selected for their artistic, cultural, and historic significance.