Charitable Organization

Mojave Desert Archives

The Mojave Desert Archives preserves the history of transcontinental travel to the Los Angeles region through the Mojave Desert of eastern California. Route 66, National Old Trails Road, the Mojave Wagon Road, the Santa Fe Railway (now BNSF), Union Pacific Railroad, and Interstate highways were and are major transit routes through the desert terminating in the Los Angeles basin. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Los Angeles area residents traveled through and returned to the Mojave Desert over these routes to deliver mail and supplies, engage in military campaigns, harvest natural resources, graze cattle, homestead, and run roadside businesses. Today, the Mojave serves as an important transit region for Angelenos seeking recreational opportunities in Las Vegas, on the Colorado River, or to simply enjoy the solitude and sublime beauty of our vast desert.

Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation

We are an advocacy group founded in 1987, dedicated to protecting, preserving, restoring and sustaining the Historic movie palaces and theaters of Los Angeles. We are recent recipients of an extensive collection of historical documents and photographic material relating to these theaters and their relevance to the social and cultural life of Los Angeles during the last century. We are in the very early stages of figuring out how best to use and share this resource, and hope that by getting involved with LA as Subject we can develop these plans and move forward.

California Historical Society

The California Historical Society collects materials of enduring historical and cultural value in support of its mission to inspire and empower Californians to make the past a meaningful part of their contemporary lives. In our North Baker Research Library, we hold some fifty thousand books and pamphlets, four thousand manuscript collections, half a million photographs, as well as ephemera, periodicals, posters, maps and more. For Los Angeles and the surrounding area we have nearly 23,000 photographs from the Title Insurance and Trust Company (TICOR) and the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce (LAACC) housed and managed for CHS by the Regional History Center at the University of Southern California and viewable through the USC Digital Library (digitallibrary.usc.edu). Documenting development of the Los Angeles region from 1860 to 1960, the TICOR collection includes the work of many prominent local photographers, including C. C. Pierce. The LAACC collection includes promotional images in addition to depicting the growth of the city and the transportation system. Besides these two important collections and other photographs, Southern California is represented chiefly by printed books and pamphlets, periodicals, and ephemera, including many early promotional pieces with gems such as the 1888-89 Southern California Tourists’ Guide-Book, and an 1885 pamphlet entitled The Great Interior Fruit Belt and Sanitarium of Southern California, San Bernardino County, and Valleys Tributary Thereto.

Cal-Pac United Methodist Commission on Archives and History

The Archives collection of the California-Pacific Annual Conference is comprised of annual conference journals, books, records of active and discontinued local churches, administrative documents, directories, newspapers, photographic and audio-visual materials, and ephemera documenting the history of the California-Pacific Annual conference and all it antecedents. Subject areas covered by the collection include, but are not limited to conference government and infrastructure, church histories, pastors, and various conference agencies. The Archives are housed in the Claremont School of Theology Library's Special Collection area. There are also additional electronic genealogical and historical material on the California- Pacific Conference Archives and History web page

Chinese Historical Society of Southern California

The Chinese Historical Society of Southern California was founded in1975 to discover and recognize Chinese American pioneers and the history of Chinese Americans in Southern California. It also works to increase aware-ness of Chinese American heritage through public programs, education, and research. The society's holdings focus on Southern California Chinese American history. Its collections include three hundred transcriptions of oral history interviews with Southern Californian Chinese Americans, the Robert Nash Collection on Chinese junks and fisheries, artifacts from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority old Chinatown/Union Station excavation and the Santa Barbara Chinatown archaeological site, photographs of old Chinatown and China City, and three paintings of old Chinatown. Its archive contains extended summaries of the oral history interviews and a number of original documents. Some of the society's holdings are on display at the Chinatown Heritage and Visitors Center (411 Bernard Street).

Filipino American Library (FAL)

A compilation of published and unpublished materials on the history of Filipinos in Los Angeles, including the formation of Historic Filipinotown. The collection includes books, reports, memorandums, periodicals, and programs. The history of Filipinos in Los Angeles is the most popular research topic at the Filipino American Library (FAL).

La Senora Research Institute

Films, Recordings, Book Archives include the works of * Jose Mojica, Mexican opera star;" The Valentino of Latin Films". * Anita Loos and Mary Anita Loos Sale - Films, scripts, Books * Lyle Wheeler - Films * Leo Carillo - Films * Dolores Del Rio - Films The work/study program Interns from UCLA/LMU and Mt. St. Mary's have resulted in an LSRI program to acquire copies of works of the 1930's of George and Ira Gershwin and Cole Porter. These artists were the guest of playwright Anita Loos. La Senora's Chamber Music Series feature music from the classic films of all former Hacienda residents.

Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Lillian Fellows Memorial Archive

Childrens Hospital Society of Los Angeles was established in 1901 by a small group of women who recognized the need for a hospital that could serve ill, crippled, and under-privileged children. The original hospital, opened in 1902, was a modest two-story, canary-yellow, clapboard house. It had nine beds, was served by one volunteer doctor and treated fourteen patients its first year. By 1905, the hospital had expanded to accommodate twenty patients, the kitchen pantry converted in to a surgery suite, and 229 children had received care. The hospital soon after received two generous donations- one of land, the other of real-property, which made possible a relocation and expansion of the hospital, and in 1913, Childrens Hospital opened a 100-bed facility in a remote, unincorporated part of the city at Sunset & Vermont Avenues. Subsequent years of tireless and ingenious fund raising efforts by all-female board of directors, managers, and auxiliaries produced steady income for the non-profit hospital. Today, CHLA is a national leader in pediatric care and research and serves over 300,000 patients annually at its four-acre facility. The Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Lillian Fellows Memorial Archive is named for the daughter of Emma Phillips, the donor who bequeathed the land upon which the current hospital is situated. Mrs. Phillips’ gift stipulated that her deceased daughter’s portrait hang for fifty years in the new hospital, and that portrait now serves as the cornerstone of the archive collection. Development of the archive began in 2000 with the collection and assessment of historical materials for research on the book, “Childrens Hospital and the Leaders of Los Angeles: The First 100 Years,” by Margaret Leslie Davis, published in conjunction with the CHLA Centennial Celebration. The archive is home to a variety of materials, including photographs, medical records, publications, scrapbooks, diaries, documents, artwork, and artifacts. Photographic images include hospital founders, patients, doctors, administrators, campus development, and regional images of general historic interest. The archive contains complete collections dating from 1901 through 1940 of annual reports, admissions logs, medical procedures summaries, and daily census reports, as well as monthly newsletters published since 1940. The records of Mrs. Gabriel Duque, long term Chair of the Associates & Affiliates and CHLA Board member, are preserved in the archive, as are generous donations of historic materials from various auxiliary groups including fund-raising records, annual Doll Fair, Fashion Show, and Debutante Ball scrapbooks, administration files, meeting minutes, 1940s Debutante Registers, publicity brochures, and a variety of World War II memorabilia. Also housed in the archive are oral histories of hospital administrators, doctors, nurses, and volunteers gathered under the auspices of the Centennial Celebration project.

Center for Visual Music

Collections include material on Oskar Fischinger and related Visual Music Artists, including Jules Engel, John and James Whitney, Pat O'Neill, Hy Hirsh, Single Wing Turquoise Bird light show, Ed Emshwiller, and many contemporary artists. William Moritz collection contains material on history of avant-garde and abstract film in Los Angeles.